which 6.5x55 cartridge or bullet for moose?

PointBlank

Due to be going to lapland in September after moose and I believe that I will need a 10g bullet in my 6.5x55 to comply with the legislation and it looks like I will have to special order bullets or made up cartridges so I'm interested in what others have used or recommend?

Also if anyone knows anywhere that stocks any around Suffolk would be even more useful.

Cheers
Kevin

Norma load very good selection of bullets for moose as do sako, try and find these.
ppu also do a 156 and I have found it accurate though slow.
my choice would be norma they can be found in 6.5x55 think York guns have some in Robert hall deffo has.
York also had some RWS but not sure on the spec.
regards john

Kevin

I've just had a batch of Lapua Mega 155gr reloaded by HPS and will be having a play in the next month at the range. They seem to be the staple to deal with the 10g min overseas

Cheers
iain

Norma Oryx is good choice. Sako Deerhead cartridge is believed to be Oryx also, but not 100% sure.

I've used Woodleigh 160gr PP in 260Rem with good results. I don't know any factory loading with them.

Conventional bullets like Lapua Mega and Norma Alaska or Vulkan should be GTG also, due to low velocities.

As has been said above, the Norma Oryx or Lapua Mega will be more than enough in the 6.5x55.

Lots of people on our team swear by the Mega, I use it in 200 grain in my 30-06.

I made some up using Sierra pro-hunter 160 gn SMP. (which I guess is soft medium point). They were £18 from Norman Clarke. Shoot well and sure would knock a moose down.

Some one was selling 160 rnds of factory Lapua Mega on Guntrader the other month for £120,got the money together and the add had ended :(
Was nearly worth buying for the brass alone,I have had some factory rounds but now load my own over Reloader 22 or would if I could bloody find some.
Have used them on Roe,Fallow and Reds in the rut nothing has gone very far when hit, strangely the deer that went the furthest was a Roe doe that I shot kneeling at about 15 yards buggered off in to the pines about 40 yards with no heart.

As has been said above, the Norma Oryx or Lapua Mega will be more than enough in the 6.5x55.

Lots of people on our team swear by the Mega, I use it in 200 grain in my 30-06.

The 6.5x55 has been popular here for decades and I've known quite a few hunters who swore by the Norma 160's in various various forms over the years. Tha Lapua's have earned an excellent reputation on moose and black bear here as well, though they haven't been readily available until the last few years or so.

The only bullet I've ever heard to have some issues was the older Hornady 160 gr RN. Apparently they tended to expand to quickly, last I heard the issue was fixed. To be honest, I'm not even sure if its still in production anymore.

Either of the Norma or Lapua 160's will handle moose nicely.

AB

Back