Thread: New to the fold

New to the fold

Afternoon all, as is required a little about myself.

I have been an avid air gun shooter for may years, carrying out vermin control for a couple of local landowners. At the tail end of last year I took the plunge with a conterminous FAC/SGC.

I will admit I am more of a rifle man than a shotgunner but a few more sessions on the clays might see me at least reach an acceptable level with the SG. I now have added a few more permissions with the added drive of the FAC and have a choice of a couple of air rifles and rimfires depending on the situation. Primarily I shoot rabbits, but take the occasional rogue fox at close range with WMR.

Hopefully and eventually I would like to get into deer stalking but I'm happy with the fox and vermin control for now!

I also have a young whippet of Sooty Sam / Elgedane lines who is just coming of age so hoping to get her out on the lamp once the evenings draw in over the coming months.

Hi and welcome to SD let's hope you get plenty from here bazil

welcome to the site mate got a couple of whippets myself cracking dogs, a darn site easier than my wirehaired pointer used to have a wmr its the one rifle that i regret selling.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Cheers for the welcome chaps, I forgot to mention that Wiltshire is my area, but I see its on my post details anyway!

Well its been near as damn it 3 years since I started this thread and I've been busy!

In the interim I gained 3 more permissions for vermin & fox control, I've been mentored by someone who has taken me out to accompany him on several stalks and eventually to stalk with him on his permission to grass my first roe last year and also completed my DSC1. The vermin control and fox control has kept me busy and I've been ably helped by 2 other forum members who come out controlling rabbits with me regularly, after a year or 2 on 3 pieces of ground ranging from 12 to 100 acres the permission has extended to deer .

On Tuesday I shot my first muntjac and first deer on my own permission, well chuffed is an understatement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1353.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	776.8 KB 
ID:	73462

I just thought I'd update the thread as there's every chance that there are people joining in a similar place that I was 3 years ago and it shows that if you put the time and effort in, starting with the vermin and sticking with it, if you're lucky as I have been it may just lead to a deer permission .

That's great news. Glad to hear that you have made some good contacts and friends through the site. That's one of the main reasons we purchased the site several years ago.

Well done.
    All grades of deer stalkers/hunters in the UK and overseas catered for. Level 2 DMQ signing off available. Over 30 years experience in the stalking/hunting industry. For friendly and professional help go to

And yes the SD has been very helpful for general information and meeting some good people on the way, keep up the good work!!

Great update and funny how the timing and evolution of your shooting is very similar to mine, I guess it's a natural progressing process for a lot of us.

Thanks for the update really good to read about your advancement.