Metal magazine for Tikka T3

Tayfix

Does any one know where I can get a metal mag from to fit a tikka T3
The action is a 22.250 would like a 5 or ten shot mag.
thank you in advance
​Tayfix

You can get replacement bottom metal that allows you to use AI mags, search for Tikka on ebay and they should come up

I have a tikka T3 action and 22.250 plastic mag feeding 6mm BR
its a three shot mag and I find it awkward to load.

I have a tikka T3 action and 22.250 plastic mag feeding 6mm BR
its a three shot mag and I find it awkward to load.

The only alternative T3 magazine is a plastic 5-shot, but this won't solve your problem. People who've never tried it think the T3 .22-250 magazine should work fine with 6mm BR & 7mm BR rebarrel jobs, but it won't.

You're reverse feeding a short 50mm parallel-sided round onto a 61mm follower made to feed a tapered case (.22-250). The short stubby round tips up skyward (a design function of the Z-spring), and the case head & fatter sides then jam on the narrow magazine walls. Feeding is also impaired sometimes because there's not quite enough rim for the bolt head to contact on the pick-up push stroke.

Your surmise is right. You need a magazine which has metal sides which can be bulged out slightly, and steel retaining lips which you can flare towards the rear of the magazine. The central problem of tipping remains. Ideally you need to work out some way of extending the block section from 12mm to 22mm (or so). Otherwise filling the mag. will always have to be done very carefully:D

Thank you guys for your replays, I have made enquiries and waiting for replays from a few company's
Tayfix

I have the dimensions for the spacer block to go inside if you want to have a go at making your own. It is a relatively straight forward job.

When things like this come up I think, with the advent of 3d printing, surely the prices will start to come down. Like DBM and metal mags for Tikkas.

375 euros for an aluminium magazine, WTF :eek:

David,

For the magazine AND the housing. Expensive as opposed to cheap aluminium, and a relatively small market.

Nothing wrong with the original otherwise there would be plenty of aftermarket suppliers.

Stan

:D, not convinced yet if they'll be good in the long run. Made of glass filled Nylon which can get brittle in cold dry weather.
good thing is I'll have one of the first prototypes of a complete new rifle design to play with and find weak points.
I fitted an American cast alu mag system to a remmy this week, the tang snapped when tightening the screw, can't beat a cnc made alu mag system.
edi

:D, not convinced yet if they'll be good in the long run. Made of glass filled Nylon which can get brittle in cold dry weather.
good thing is I'll have one of the first prototypes of a complete new rifle design to play with and find weak points.
I fitted an American cast alu mag system to a remmy this week, the tang snapped when tightening the screw, can't beat a cnc made alu mag system.
edi

Can you not get all sorts of material printed including Ali and Titanium?

Can you not get all sorts of material printed including Ali and Titanium?

I wouldn't know. My guess is that material properties would be miserable compared to cnc milled stock.
Alu and Titanium powder always have an oxidised surface. Not sure how and with what result you can get them to stick together.
In our case Plan b would be to use the printing data and cnc machine alu mag systems.
edi

Back