Woodland gun

dropmdead

Hi all, looking to see what advice can be given for the ideal woodland gun.
I would like to know the best factory out the box gun to shoot factory ammo, and the ideal barrel length to expect.

Its to cover fox, roe and red.

Many thanks in advance,
DMD

Well there's no such thing really, it's sort of quite a lot a matter of personal preference, but for the setup you describe, I'd look no further than my very own Steyr-Mannlicher stutzen in 7mm08! But that's just me. The handling, pointability and fit are fantastic, it's compact with a 20" barrel and 1m10 overall length, not much recoil at all, and plenty enough range, power and accuracy for fox, red and roe. That's my pitch done.

factory...budget allowing, a .308 or 6.5x55 sako wood/blued hunter with a 4x36 zeiss..can't go wrong with that!

Somthing different , light and very pointable , deer legal ,with a quick follow up shot ...

maril-308mx-rifle1.jpg

Marlin Rifles UK

Last edited:
My thoughts are Sako or Howa in 308 or 6.5x55 or 270.
Any suggested barrel length?

All input or thoughts considered.

for woodland I'd stick with the 308 or 6.5 if you like factory rifles and factory ammo. you will find barrels are probably 18" to 22"..in woodland, it probably doesn't matter as shots will be reasonably close, so you might prefer a shorter handier firearm than a long poker.

Speaking from my own experience if I were shooting predominantly roe / fox with the occasional red I would and do use .243 and use 85gn partitions, if I were shooting predominantly reds and roe with the occasional fox I would opt for any of the .30 mainstream calibres.
A man with a .243 in his cabinet using vmax and a .30cal magnum with accubonds , should ensure lightning quick kills for everything on this isle and it will save you money too as you wont need a dog :stir:

Speaking from my own experience if I were shooting predominantly roe / fox with the occasional red I would and do use .243 and use 85gn partitions, if I were shooting predominantly reds and roe with the occasional fox I would opt for any of the .30 mainstream calibres.
A man with a .243 in his cabinet using vmax and a .30cal magnum with accubonds , should ensure lightning quick kills for everything on this isle and it will save you money too as you wont need a dog :stir:

i have and do use .243 with 85g partions, except for reds, 100g partitions are used. - it's a fine round, but I would pick something bigger and slower for woodland stalking...those big stags will have to be dug out of the dark depths if only shot with a .243..on the hill,,fine, in deep conifer woods..no thanks ;)

ps. vmax for deer, what?

i have and do use .243 with 85g partions, except for reds, 100g partitions are used. - it's a fine round, but I would pick something bigger and slower for woodland stalking...those big stags will have to be dug out of the dark depths if only shot with a .243..on the hill,,fine, in deep conifer woods..no thanks ;)

ps. vmax for deer, what?

Yes Perfect ! and a stag shot in the neck with a 6mm partition shouldn't be going anywhere ?

Yes Perfect ! and a stag shot in the neck with a 6mm partition shouldn't be going anywhere ?

he he he,,,ok, very true,,,I have to admit, I'm usually not man enough to try and find the vertebrae of a thick rutting stags neck from sticks in woodland, but yes, that 'would' definitely put them down fast.

he he he,,,ok, very true,,,I have to admit, I'm usually not man enough to try and find the vertebrae of a thick rutting stags neck from sticks in woodland, but yes, that 'would' definitely put them down fast.

Well wait while it turns round and shoot it from behind and aim right in the middle of the long bit :D

Blaser r8 pro success or Sauer 202 Outback would be my choice. currentyl have an outback and can't fault it for woodland Roe and occasional fox lamping in .243 of course!

regards

​BP

have to say marlin 336 in 3030, a gun designed for woodland hunting, federal 150 ammo, or if you can get it Winchester silver tips, 4 x 32 leopold m8 or if you feel upto it a e o tec,forget your tikas or blazer, this gun has perfect off hand shooting capabilitys.

Thanks for the consideration of an under lever rifle, but, its something I don't really get on with. I prefer the more 'traditional' bolt action rifle.

have to say marlin 336 in 3030, a gun designed for woodland hunting, federal 150 ammo, or if you can get it Winchester silver tips, 4 x 32 leopold m8 or if you feel upto it a e o tec,forget your tikas or blazer, this gun has perfect off hand shooting capabilitys.
There speaks a man of experience.
Tusker

Back