Stainless steel barrels

Thar,

What’s Du-coating?

Next rifle is going to be S/S but I think I have seen one or two about with black barrels.

When I take the mod on and of it is gradually rubbing the bluing off the barrel and hence why amongst other things I would like a stainless steel barrel. Would it mark this du-coating?

Thanks

Miles

I fell down a rock face, mountain hunting wild sheep, the rifle took a few knocks as we went, the fall of 5 ft was on to soft ground sikamac.

But hey each to there own as you say if you are happy, ;) my point really was I have friends who swore they would never go with S/S rifle but are now draw to the dark side. :evil:

My stock is coated with a rubber covering so is as non-slip in wet conditions as you can get.
2428 miles said:
Thar,

What’s Du-coating?

Thanks

Miles

Hi Miles

Duracoat is a polymer coating and is very hard wearing the US military are using it on some of their firearms you can have about any colour you like.

http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

Jager Sporting arms are the UK agents. Jager.sportingarms@virgin.net

Here is a link to some reviews:- http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=624

308Fin1-1.jpg

Here is a photo of a Sako Finlight the barrel flutes have been coated a different colour to the rest of the barrel.

Best rgds

Thar

I have had a S&B on my 6.5 for the last four or five years and have never had to re zero it. I have and do pick it up by scope but I have not that I can recall dropped it, well, nothing significant.

I did once fall on it. I had it in a rifle holster on my back, this allows both hands to be free, which means it was sticking straight up in the air. I was stalking through a ride in a Highland forestry block, it was very wet with a burn running through it and the ground was soft. I lost my footing on a rock and broke into an arm waving routine to keep my balance, but I lost the battle. I started to keel over backwards and my flight path meant that I would land flat on my back. I braced myself for the pain that I felt sure was going to make itself known to my back, but miracles of miracles, no just the thump of landing on wet moss/grass/assorted vegetation. To complete the picture my cap flipped backwards off my head, just like a lid opening.

I then rolled over on to my side, dreading what damage I had done to my rifle/scope. It was then I realised just how lucky I had been. I had fallen into a patch of open ground without a stone in it, which for a Sutherland forest is as rare as rocking horse thingy. Anyway there was in the ground an imprint of my rifle and scope, where my no longer thin body had shoved it in. The scope, was not scratched or dinged, and a zeroing session confirmed that it had not lost zero.

This has of course, bugger all to do with synthetic stocks, and just for the record the rifle in question has a wooden stock. :)

John

Duracoating is a liquid polymer which when applied to the rifle gives it complete corrosion, abrasion, knock resistance.

Now im a fan of stainless, but chromoly is much more hard wearing that stainless and will last longer. The down side is it requires considerably more looking after, however, if it is Duracoated you only have to look after the bore and we all do that anyway. :lol:

There is also Parkerising which is another corrosion resistant process, great for the foreshores and bad weather, couple both these processes together and your onto a winner of complete weather proofing. :D

Caliderscope,
have you got that the right way round?
as stainless outlasts chromoly by twice as long and does not rust the way standard chromoly does.

steve

Caliderscope,
barrel manufacturers state stainless lasts longer
below is one quote.
Obviously we want to use the best barrel we can get, but what type of barrel? Stainless Steel! When replacing a barrel on just about any rifle, the advantages of stainless definitely outweigh those of chromoly. First, stainless will not pit inside the bore from moisture. This is a common problem with factory (chromoly) barrels because the bore is totally unprotected. When pitting occurs the roughness can cause severe accuracy problems. Second, stainless will tend to be more accurate then chromoly. Lastly, the accuracy life of a stainless barrel will be about 30% longer then chromoly.

steve

243win said:
Caliderscope,
barrel manufacturers state stainless lasts longer
below is one quote.
Obviously we want to use the best barrel we can get, but what type of barrel? Stainless Steel! When replacing a barrel on just about any rifle, the advantages of stainless definitely outweigh those of chromoly. First, stainless will not pit inside the bore from moisture. This is a common problem with factory (chromoly) barrels because the bore is totally unprotected. When pitting occurs the roughness can cause severe accuracy problems. Second, stainless will tend to be more accurate then chromoly. Lastly, the accuracy life of a stainless barrel will be about 30% longer then chromoly.

steve

Its not a pi**ing contest, its just fact mate, here is on of many well respected people in the know. A mate of mine is also an engineer (Riflesmith) in Norway who also works in the Oil industry, he knows a bit!

Contrary to genral impressions Stainless steel that is used in the
firearms is not more difficult but is much more machineable than
chromoly. The s/s used in barrel steel is stainless screw stock 416R made
to run on auto screw machines at high speed. The steel used in s/s
actions is 1704, a tougher steel that take more tool pressure but
machines nicely. Stainless doesn't have the tensile strength that a
chromoly like 4340 does. Due to the softness of barrel s/s which is 27
to 29 Rockwell C it will not last as long as 4140 and while it is
believed to withstand heat erosion better I have not found that to be
true. As a summery due the better machine ability, s/s barrels can be
made with closer dimensions and surface finishes. It will produce more
accurate barrels. The sole benefit of fluted barrels is that to some
people it looks neat. If you are lucky a fluted barrel will shoot as
well as or nearly as well as an unfluted barrel. And the gunsmith needs
the money.
Gale McMillan

Caliderscope,
i assume the quote is from the mcmillan website,
bearing in mind they do not manufacture barels only fit them,
I have spoken to norman clarke and looked at a couple of other web site to make sure what i have written to be correct, this time
I have found that there is not just a simple answer,
factory standard barrels are considerably different to custom ones,
stainless was never as strong as steel,
if you bother to look at barrel manufacturers web site like krieger, lilja, Border, etc you will find that neither of us are right or wrong as they all say different.
so the original question from MJ75 almost comes down to looks/finish,
which to be honest is not what i thought at the begining of this thread and what i thought i knew before this afternoon

steve

ps it is not a contest i only asked were you sure, obviously neither of us were

Im pretty sure, of what ive stated.

I see barrels coming and going all the time and have shot shed loads. Looks are not an issues anymore with the amount of quality firearms coatings around now. I Duracoat most things everyday, from Stainless, Chromoly, stnthetics and wood.

So if your after looks you can have what you like, bearing in mind stainless will rust at some point, chromoly as you said needs looking after a bit more butit would be my preference. This is the beauty of Duracoat, it is corrosion resistant once applied. :eek:

No the article wasnt from the Mcstock website but there are plenty of others similar to it. :lol:

Back