Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: iphone

Right, it looks like I need a new phone with internet caperbility (will shortly be losing home internet completely).

Network coverage is rubbish on all networks in the area where I live.

I had pretty much decided on an iphone 4s but then found loads of issues/rumours on the internet about excessive and mysterious data useage costing people loads of money.

I know that at some point I am going to do my annual experdition into a town and be talked down to by spotty youth who is far more clever than me but I thought I would ask the advice of real people first.

Anyone have first hand experience/advice please?

Latest Samsung Galaxy blows the Ifail into the weeds
    and I have an iphone4

Glyn i was in the same boat as you about six months ago
    i settled for an I phone 5 which has been brilliant on 0/2
    network get an otter box case and your sorted regards

If you are going to rely on the phone for internet connectivity then really you want to find out which network has the best 3g signal. I'm a bit of a technophobe but i do find my Iphone4 pretty easy to use and its fine for basic web use and e-mails etc and not bad to call people on either. being based outside town though the internet is great when on our wireless connection but very variable as you move about, I can get a great signal up the odd highseat then the other side of the farm nothing

wife has i4 hates it, pal has i4 hates it , one is 02 net the other is on ee was orange both get dropped service! so look for a network that is the best nr your home.
    i am on ee/orange and have a galx 3 happy with phone with bigger screen and buttons and got a free notepad ? ,before it change to ee i could get a good service in most places from the middle of the chanel to glen co now its next to shat with a poor service in the outlying parts of the uk or some towns !! i'll be looking into a bt network jobby next time

I've had all the iPhone now. If you don't have 3G network coverage you will find the Internet very slow. Phone signal is very sporadic and unpredictable. They are a great phone if you use all its features, if not dont get one. If I was you I would get a pay as you go dongle for the laptop and buy a simple phone.

Yes, had iPhones for 5 years or so now, currently have the 4s. Would say that un commanded data usage is a bit of a myth.. I think that people getting large data bills is more down to not knowing how to use the phone, for instance leaving data roaming etc on while abroad. Regardless of what make of internet enabled phone you have, if you dont know how to use it, you may end up with data useage charges.

I avoided the iPhone 5 as they changed the charger connection on the 5, rendering any iPhone accessories you own for pre iphone 5 as useless, so im sticking with the 4s (hoping apple see the error of their ways!)

If your losing internet at home, and signal is poor on all networks, then you will struggle to get an internet enabled phone to work in that area, again regardless of make?

I also live in an area with seriously patch phone signal but have gone down the route of a Three MiFi internet option, it actually works really well, gives me faster internet than the broadband in the house (we live in the sticks a bit) and its not the standard dongle which is plugged into your laptop, it is effectively a wireless router, but instead of getting its internet through the landline, it sucks it from the 3G signal. Other nice thing is that you can take it away with you, so people in the car can stream films or you dont have to pay for internet in hotels, or sit and surf SD when your in a caravan on a rainy stalking trip away!!

Nice thing about Three MiFi is that you dont pay line rental and it is generally faster than broadband if your at the end of the line so to speak, obviously subject to signal..

Hi there

I have one and would not recommend it. All the internet stuff is great and I would struggle to do without that but I use the phone for business and, as such, I need to make calls (from both the UK and abroad) and need a decent battery life - after all it is first and foremost a phone

I find that where other manufacturers phones don't struggle getting a signal (side by side mark one eyeball test) even on the same network the iphone is does. This, coupled with a pathetic battery life and I would be pushed to recommend it to a business....or probably for that matter....a heavy domestic user.

With the iphone you can't change the battery yourself so when its duty cycle finally dies it's a factory job and you can't upgrade the memory. It is also relatively fragile

It was originally a ground breaking device that transformed the market but the competition has caught up and largely improved on the basic concept.

The iphone is a bit like a religion for many in that there are devotees that ignore the obvious failings and increased capability that other products now have. To mind mind it's a tool and given the current market, probably not the best tool for the job.

Hope that helps

Had iPhones since they came out...I'm on the 5 and it's the second one ive had thus far...***** is what I think, software glitches, loss of signal, calls dropping out, you name it! It's a shame because they are so good to use when they work!

Samsung galaxy is the best in my opinion.