Red stag antler question

I find this head very interesting as a mate has a sika head showing the same on both sides. We took it to the gamefair for an 'ecpert' opinion, but we're still non the wiser...

Novice

Hi
This type of antler growth, while not common isn't unusual and I have seen them occur regularly. There are a number of reasons why this could have happened. There are a number of scholarly books and journals with articles on antlers and their growth.

You might want to do a search on a web page called "Google Scholar" which will give you information. There was an interesting book by R.J. Goss called "Deer Antlers: Regeneration, Function and Evolution" published back in the 80's which if you can borrow from a library you might find interesting.

R

Hard to be definitive, some you see are obviously coronet damage at early stages of growth, others appear to be complete fully formed third antlers and likely be down to a genetic defect. My guess is that this is possibly very early damage on a fence as a nobber where a small piece of coronet tissue has re adhered to the skull and is throwing a little scur.

In answer to deerstalker.308's original question. The supernumerary coronet ( or burr ) is formed when there is damage to the pedicle and the stem cells there grow to heal it, no scar tissue is formed as velvet originates from here each season. As there is no nerve connection in this case no antler grew. This would be hormonally controlled in future seasons and may even grow velvet and a bizarre rudimentary antler. There are cases of odd shaped ectopic antlers growing from this position, seen mainly in Roe as they carry out marking from this position on their heads

References: Wislocki; Goss ; Rehn initially then Bubenik ; Bubenik and Pavlansky

Here is an example of my own research as to innervation of antlers in Roe which is the same as Red deer, Wapiti and Fallow References Adams ; Woodbury and Haigh

Dissection

Nerves positions marked in red

Xray of head

This head was made available to me by prometheus.

In answer to deerstalker.308's original question. The supernumerary coronet ( or burr ) is formed when there is damage to the pedicle and the stem cells there grow to heal it, no scar tissue is formed as velvet originates from here each season. As there is no nerve connection in this case no antler grew. This would be hormonally controlled in future seasons and may even grow velvet and a bizarre rudimentary antler. There are cases of odd shaped ectopic antlers growing from this position, seen mainly in Roe as they carry out marking from this position on their heads

References: Wislocki; Goss ; Rehn initially then Bubenik ; Bubenik and Pavlansky

Here is an example of my own research as to innervation of antlers in Roe which is the same as Red deer, Wapiti and Fallow References Adams ; Woodbury and Haigh

Dissection

Nerves positions marked in red

Xray of head

This head was made available to me by prometheus.
Very interesting, thanks for this!

Back