Compound archery bow owners in Devon?

devon deer stalker

As per title, I would like to try a compound bow, I have used a recurve before but don't know anyone who owns a recurve locally.
I was given an email contact but he didn't get back to me.
This is initially to see if it appeals to me and if I am actually any good at it.
If it does I will investigate returning to Montana one day and try to get the elusive Elk during the rut that I failed to connect with in 2012 with my rifle.
So is there anyone who would be kind enough to let me experience this?
pm me if necessary.
Many thanks
Richard

Evening Richard

There shouldnt be any need for this to get all shouty and flame-mail because you mentioned 'b*w' in your post title :lol:

Have a google for your local archery pro shop and ask if you can try a few bows (you will need to determine your draw length before anything else).
You might also want to check out the National Field Archery Society website for your nearest club http://www.nfas.net/index.asp
There are clubs at Tavistock, Ashcombe Valley and Bicton.
PM me if you wish.
Regards
Kenneth
(I am a Full Senior Member of the NFAS, shooting Compound Unlimited)

Attachments

• South West NFAS clubs.jpg
    South West NFAS clubs.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 20
Evening Richard

There shouldnt be any need for this to get all shouty and flame-mail because you mentioned 'b*w' in your post title :lol:

Have a google for your local archery pro shop and ask if you can try a few bows (you will need to determine your draw length before anything else).
You might also want to check out the National Field Archery Society website for your nearest club http://www.nfas.net/index.asp
There are clubs at Tavistock, Ashcombe Valley and Bicton.
PM me if you wish.
Regards
Kenneth
(I am a Full Senior Member of the NFAS, shooting Compound Unlimited)
Many thanks Kenneth, I will look into it, I have found a shop at Honiton that might let me look/try some bows out, failing that Ashcombe isn't very far from me.
Cheers
Richard

The shop in Honiton is Quicks - they don't sell second hand & I don't think they have a try it out facility. Not very customer friendly either unless you have loads of dosh to throw their way - customer service not good (was in there last year).
I can understand them not letting folks try out new bows though - too easy to damage one by mishandling.
Probably the best way to try out a bow would be to through one of the local archery clubs - I think there is a branch of the NFAS in Exemouth area. They will shoot hunting style compounds which are set up very different to the strictly target ones.

​Ian

Thanks Ian, if I do go down this route I wouldn't buy second hand, I have a friend in the states who could post one over if I asked him, I don't have loads of dosh so probably wont visit them in that case.
Cheers
Richard

People can be very funny about letting other shoot their bows.

I am one of those :rofl:.

The reason being is someone picked it up and dry fired it, the next time I shot an arrow the bow exploded into about 100 different parts.

Your best bet is to get to a shop and get them to measure you up. Draw length is very important on a compound bow as if it is to long you wont hit the wall and it can be difficult to get to grips with.

People can be very funny about letting other shoot their bows.

I am one of those :rofl:.
I understand that, my clients will never get their hands on my Sage rods, they have to use the rods I sell and if I get really stuck then its Orvis.

Regarding draw length, I have read and looked on youtube and come up with 27.5 inches.
But until I get a bow in my hands I guess I won't know for sure.
Cheers
Richard

getting your draw length measured by someone who knows what they are doing is the most important thing to start with.There is a much diversity in compound bows with limb length, draw weight and cam design as there are calibres ,bullet weights and twists in rifles lol . most compounds these days have some length adjustment in the cams, so there will be a bit of leeway there , buy yourself a 2nd hand good quality bow of 40-50lb draw weight and practise with it, get used to how it shoots .most compounds work best within 10% of their maximum draw weight so you are better to go lower poundage and work at it's upper limit than visaversa.Don't overbow yourself to start with or buy something with hair trigger cams It will spoil the enjoyment of learning ,your body will soon become accustomed to the weight of draw, as you get fitter you will find you can shoot more poundage then i would consider buying a new up to date bow that you like and suits your purpose . i have seen more folk put off buy buying too much bow to start with than nearly any other reason

Last edited:
Rich,

Come on over any time & you can have a play.

Bows are great!

Quicks have very little kit suited to bow hunting - but Honiton shop has an indoor range upstairs.

Rgds

IanF

Rich,

Come on over any time & you can have a play.

Bows are great!

Quicks have very little kit suited to bow hunting - but Honiton shop has an indoor range upstairs.

Rgds

IanF
Thanks Ian, you are on, I didn't know you owned one.
See you when the rut is over?
Cheers
Richard

I would quite like a go at bow hunting in the US...I shot target recurve for the last 18months (just sold my very expensive set-up to fund my wedding :() and got to Bowman classification in a year, didn't see the attraction of a compound bow for target archery but can very much so for field archery and hunting.

As suggested, start off with a manageable poundage, you won't do yourself any favours trying to be butch and shooting too much bow, but I think for hunting you can get away with more than target - I would be shooting 300-400 arrows in a session with 45lbs on my fingers but presumably for hunting it is one or two shots so less strain on your back and fingers.

Thanks for the advice chaps, you are correct, one has to be careful that you don't give yourself problems by entering into the 'mines bigger than yours game' but I also have to be mindful some states insist on a minimum poundage.
Cheers
Richard

true but you are better to buy a lower poundage bow and work up to the weight you want/need to use for hunting you will shoot alot of arrows getting your form correct ,also bear in mind that a lot of field archery clubs won't allow you to use anything more than a 60lb compound as the bigger draw weight bows are too severe on targets and 3ds there other things you need to consider too release aids or fingers for one
i shot a 60lb aggressive cam'd bow with fingers and no sights competitively for a long time it was great fun bit like a swift it was point and let go but it took me a while to get up to that draw weight and bow type, if i picked it up again now i'd have sore fingers and string burn again too lol

Back