FC England tenders

flyingfisherman

So... unless your going to drop in the tender form tomorrow on the FC desk in Bristol, who tendered??

I imagine a lot of people as deer stalking in England rarely comes up in this format..

I didn't. Will be interested to see the results. Is there a way to see who is awarded the culling contracts in Scotland as well?

On a related issue, have my name down for expression of interest for Phytophthora Ramorum control felling of larch. Anyone else interested?

I planned too, but with so much stuff to do I haven't managed to get it all finished. TBH I doubt I'd have made it to interview as my level 2 is done but awaiting phone call and verification etc.
I looked round a number of the patches and I can't make my mind up with what is going on. I think FC have looked at the man days it is taking per deer on this ground and decided it's to much work. So they put it out to tender, get paid, save on their own labor costs. Which is fine, but the minimum cull figures seem optimistic to me. I think to achieve these figures would make it almost a full time job on a couple of the parcels. They are deer havens for sure but jungles which can not be stalked, just sit in seats and hope one wanders past. Which is not my idea of fun. So I think they have put in high figures to make the whole thing look really good. Only problem is if they really do expect these numbers off, or if they just think people will bid based on carcass value. Perhaps they won't be all that bothered if targets not met so long as a decent number coming off and they have the money in the bank!
​What were others impressions of the ground?

I think FC have looked at the man days it is taking per deer on this ground and decided it's to much work. So they put it out to tender, get paid, save on their own labor costs. Which is fine, but the minimum cull figures seem optimistic to me.

I have no doubt you're right about the motivation, ironic isn't it, they won't pay for their own rangers to do it because its too expensive, but they also want top dollar to let us solve their problem for them!

Well I guess that's good for the tax payer and I'm sure we would want any gov dept to get the best of a situation. Although as we are on the other end both paying tax and paying for stalking it does sting a little. I'm sure people will keep quiet till after the interviews but I would be interested to know what others thought of the prospects. BTW if anyone has any room for another gun I'd be interested. Got all the tickets, quad + ticket, first aid, health and safety.

Well done i imagine there should be a good few happy English stalkers over the next couple of week,s

Hi Point blank. Well done with the tender. Hope you don't mind me asking but which bit/s did you get?

Sorry chaps, I don't quite understand these tenders, do the FC pay you to shoot the deer? could someone briefly explain how this works please? cheers

Congratulations Pointblank,
I also made the interview stage at Thetford on Tuesday I felt I put a strong portfolio together, gave a good interview and shot well on the range but unfortunately for me your presentation must have been better , so again I tip my hat to you sir and say well done, no hard feelings just simply the better man won on the day.
Now the forestry commission get a lot of stick on this site and I as someone that has dealt with them first hand ( Not as a friend of my granny's uncle who said )would like to express how professionally the system implemented by Fc was conducted, the system ran very smoothly and transparent , questions were fair, based on ability and knowledge with the monetary bids not being in anyway the deciding factor . On receiving the e-mail I was obviously very disappointed and thought to hear so quickly that I must have truly blown the interview ,one phone call to their top man proved me to be very wrong I was walked through the process and was informed that things were very close with the successful applicant beating me by a hares breath and just gave a marginally better interview, again congratulations Pointblank I know how hard you must have worked on your portfolio as my own took a considerable time to put together, preparation for the interview was also no easy task but I felt really at home on the range and felt my targets and demonstration of safe handling could not have gone any better but yours obviously did.
Many thanks to Trevor, Martin, Steve, Doug, Paul, Nikki and Josie + the rest of those at the F/c for the time they put into making this work .
Despite the let down I truly look forward to retendering again next year albeit better prepared.

Congratulations Pointblank,
I also made the interview stage at Thetford on Tuesday I felt I put a strong portfolio together, gave a good interview and shot well on the range but unfortunately for me your presentation must have been better , so again I tip my hat to you sir and say well done, no hard feelings just simply the better man won on the day.
Now the forestry commission get a lot of stick on this site and I as someone that has dealt with them first hand ( Not as a friend of my granny's uncle who said )would like to express how professionally the system implemented by Fc was conducted, the system ran very smoothly and transparent , questions were fair, based on ability and knowledge with the monetary bids not being in anyway the deciding factor . On receiving the e-mail I was obviously very disappointed and thought to hear so quickly that I must have truly blown the interview ,one phone call to their top man proved me to be very wrong I was walked through the process and was informed that things were very close with the successful applicant beating me by a hares breath and just gave a marginally better interview, again congratulations Pointblank I know how hard you must have worked on your portfolio as my own took a considerable time to put together, preparation for the interview was also no easy task but I felt really at home on the range and felt my targets and demonstration of safe handling could not have gone any better but yours obviously did.
Many thanks to Trevor, Martin, Steve, Doug, Paul, Nikki and Josie + the rest of those at the F/c for the time they put into making this work .
Despite the let down I truly look forward to retendering again next year albeit better prepared.

Thanks pierred.
I too thought the whole process seemed very fair, I did take considerable time on my portfolio making sure I could get maximum points in every section. My interview went absolutely flawless but nerves got to me on the range, luckily that is just marked as a pass or a fail because the grouping was terrible! It was a nice surprise to find out I had got to interview and even better to hear that I had succeded. Good luck with your future applications, looks like I have a lot of work this winter now :)

The work PB will not be to shoot the deer but to shoot them before your Neighbor.s i am told that the woods do already have deer managers surrounding them. I would imagine that the numbers mentioned in the tender were reached from previous years this would include surrounding ground.How many men have you got working the area with you.

Back