Revising for DSC1 - Quick Question

neutron619

Hi guys,

I'm revising my DSC1 stuff this evening and I'm still struggling to find the bit in the manual that tells me the answer to the following question - could someone please tell me which of the four options is correct? I'll potentially make an arse of myself by saying I think that the answer is b) with the clue being in the word "frothy" but if someone could confirm that or correct me, I'd appreciate it.

24. After the shot, the deer kicks out its hind legs and rushes into cover with neck outstretched. Traces of pink and frothy blood are found. Where has it been hit?
a) The heart.
b) The lungs.
c) The liver.
d) The kidneys.

Many thanks,

Adam.

Adam

You are correct in thinking (b) is the answer. The legs kicking are a classic sign that you have a lung shot. The blood is frothy as it has "air in it from the lungs". This is the easiest way to remember it.

If it said something along the lines of the deer moved off into cover hunched and the shot didn't sound right when it struck the deer. this would indicate a gut shot of which you would wait at least 15 minutes for the animal to expire prior to follow up.

a question is only ever a stupid one if you already know the answer!. In this case your not sure as you have taken too much in whilst studying for your DSC1.

Well done for having the courage to ask.

good luck with the studying.

ATB

Tam

Tam,

Thank you for you help - much appreciated. I've actually got another one if you or anyone else would be willing to help. In the handbook, the following is written on page 37:

"DEFRA Authority: The Ministry may require or allow deer to be killed during the close season or at night under authority of the Agriculture Act 1947."

Later on, there is a bit on page 39 which says:

"A licence may be granted to any person (and revoked at any time) by: Natural England in relation to any land in England..."

This is confusing, and especially so because in the questions is:

58. Red stags are grazing on the edge of an airfield during the hours of darkness. The deer pose a threat to public safety if they are not dealt with. Who in England would issue a night shooting licence:
a) Defra
b) Civil Aviation Authority
c) Natural England
d) The Airport Owners

In this case, I've ended up marking both answers, but am I right in thinking that what they're looking for is Natural England, since the question is England-specific rather than UK-wide?

It's a bit difficult to navigate multiple-choice if multiple answers could be correct...

Thanks again,

Adam.

In England night shooting licenses are issued by (c) natural England.
In Scotland the licenses are issued by Scottish Natural Heritage.

Adam,

Look here Natural England - Deer

Don't know whose Manual you are using but it's always the best to "take" the manual offered by whom you are taking the course.

Don't be worried about not getting 100%

​Stan

Stan,

I'm doing the BDS course on the DVD and taking the tests in Dorset next month.

I won't get 100% I'm sure, but my FAC and stalking career relies on me passing the test, so I'm doing a good amount of revision to give me the best chance of not having to shell out more money or wait longer to apply. I'll do the work and I'll be fine I'm sure.

Thank you for the link and your reply - I'll have a read when I've finished doing this evening's "mock test".

Adam

Stan,

I'm doing the BDS course on the DVD and taking the tests in Dorset next month.

I won't get 100% I'm sure, but my FAC and stalking career relies on me passing the test, so I'm doing a good amount of revision to give me the best chance of not having to shell out more money or wait longer to apply. I'll do the work and I'll be fine I'm sure.

Thank you for the link and your reply - I'll have a read when I've finished doing this evening's "mock test".

Adam

Adam,

The printed manual by each supplier of DSC is the one most up to date. This will match "their questioning". It allows for annual changes, as and if they occur.
That's why it's always the best option to take.

​Stan

carry on the way you areand you will be fine BUT practice the rifle work and safety above all practice off sticks and sitting. This is where more mess up

Back