google earth

ion

Standing on the edge of a recently clearfelled block in County Galway my stalking partner whipped out his i phone to get an overall view of our position. To our amazement Google maps on his phone was up to date and showed the current state of the wood and its surrroundings. But when I try to get the same view on my lap top its a green splodge yet to be covered by the satellite . Can anybody out there throw any light on this anomaly?

Thanks. Ion

I do know Google earth varies dependant on what you look at it on.
Years ago it was just ok on a PC, but just about useless on a Mac, these days it is fine, but not usually up to date.
I now at the moment the pics of my home show my car in the car park, the car I sold 4 years ago.

If it works that well on an i-Phone I'm going to give it a go.

Neil. :)

Have you got the Google Earth application on your laptop or are you just using a web browser?

If you have the actual application, a simple and free download, then one of the tools in the toolbar along the top pops up a little timeline which allows you to view all the images of the area by date - so often you find that the area has been photographed 5 or 6 times in the last 10 years but using the timeline you can select the image set for a specific year.

The application seems to try and use the "best" images and so what you see on screen is often a composite of a number of years worth of photos with some being rejected because of cloud, for example. Being able to move back and forward in time is great.

If you are just viewing using a web browser then it is possible that you are viewing cached images which have been saved onto your local hard disk. Sometimes simply hitting the refresh button is enough to reload the page and you might get the new images at that stage. It is also possible there might be a proxy server in the chain somewhere and it might be caching the images. Try reloading first to see if that works.

Standing on the edge of a recently clearfelled block in County Galway my stalking partner whipped out his i phone to get an overall view of our position. To our amazement Google maps on his phone was up to date and showed the current state of the wood and its surrroundings. But when I try to get the same view on my lap top its a green splodge yet to be covered by the satellite . Can anybody out there throw any light on this anomaly?

Thanks. Ion

PCs are a bit like black powder firearms, the're on their way out. Many folk using the Internet have never used a PC and never will. Regards JCS

Apparently I'm operating on ' lite view ' if I understand the google jargon. I have Vista and Firefox but my drivers need updating .Switching to Google Chrome may improve things. It's a bit galling to find that my friend can do it all from the confines of his pocket

JCS - it's bad enough that I have to sit on the windowsill of my spare room poking my dongle out into the fresh air without being told that i have a ' nackerism ' on my knee ( A G Street fans will understand)

Apparently I'm operating on ' lite view ' if I understand the google jargon. I have Vista and Firefox but my drivers need updating .Switching to Google Chrome may improve things. It's a bit galling to find that my friend can do it all from the confines of his pocket

JCS - it's bad enough that I have to
sit on the windowsill of my spare room poking my dongle out into the fresh air
without being told that i have a ' nackerism ' on my knee ( A G Street fans will understand)
:norty:

Back