Bipod or Not?

Briarquest

Hi,
\i was thinking of putting a bipod on my rifle but have heard from some that it alters your shooting style to such an extent that you become reliant on it and find it difficult to shoot without one.

Are there any thoughts on this?

Thanks

Ian

Only terrain dependant, I have bipods on all rifles, mainly for bunnies with the.17, foxes with .223 off the platform on the Landy, range work & load developement with the .270/7mm, a long harris for deep scrub/heather that usually lives in the truck & sticks are always carried .

i also have bipods on all my rifles
every situation will be different and its allways best to get
a steady rest
i dont think they come much steadier than a swivel :rolleyes:
pete .

I'd second Pete's comments.

I have had a bipod on my .308 for years - it's there if I need it but most of my shots are taken off a pair of stalking sticks. I've happily shot other rifles not fitted with a bipod over that time and can't say I've noticed any 'dependence'.

willie_gunn

BI PODS

Ian i have bi pods on all my rifles and although the majority of my shooting is off sticks its good to be able to switch to the bi pod if conditions allow.
The slight increase in weight is a minor inconvenience if it will give you a better chance of a more acurately placed shot and achieving a more humane cull
At the end of the day the deers welfare should be the main objective for all stalkers and if by adding a bi pod to your rifle you are making things easier for yourself then go for it.

kind Regards
RICK O SHEA

I've bi-pods on my .223/.308 for the same reasons above, not expensive ones either ~

The .22 only wears one when l'm zero'ing as its main work is bunny bashing via sticks/landy window - The sticks go everywhere with me though even if l know i'm going to walk 10 yards from car to high seat -

Bipod

Ian,

Sorry to disagree here but I think bipods are terrain specific. If You have hill stalking then dont leave home without it, but in woodland especially in the summer they are useless.

I have a bipod in my bag and will use it on the hill. I use sticks that can be opened for sitting shots or normal standing. I live in Scotland and stalk West Coast and Central belt and have ony taken single figures of deer with bipod. Even forgot it last time on the hill and still shot 3 hinds. there is always a rest.

Try the sticks off Ebay think they are XM31 or something or 2 green B&Q canes with an M6 bolt 30cm from the top.

I also advocate practising off the knee. I have taken a few nice beasts with this method when I had to stay low to avoid being seen in the tree line. Last one was on Monday morning 85kg in the larder, he was banging his hareem one minute and then he got 125 grains of indigestion.

What a way to go!

DD

Agree with DDan!

Too many of my Clients faff around with bipods, rather than getting on and shooting!

Learn to shoot with the sticks - especially with telescopic sticks in a sitting/kneeling position.

They make for the ultimate in comfortable and fast deployment - allow a 90 degree pan, don't make a noise and get caught up in grass etc. Give you a relaxed position to wait in, with the benefit of being able to raise to the shoulder and shoot accurately OVER low foliage, whilst not compromising your outline to your quarry.

No uncomfortable metal legs digging into your shoulder with the rifle is slung, less weight AND if you really need a prone shot - your binos are an excellent improvised support at exactly the right height.

Accuracy? Well the wheel used as a target is 42cm in diameter. The groups are considerably less! They were shot from a sitting position off sticks - at 500m.

Plenty good enough for most of us mortals. ;)

Italy200903Oct18.jpg

Rgds

Ian

No bipod for me to many opportunities would be lost trying to decide if i was gong to use the pod i don't think about what i am doing it is instinct all deerstalkers in my opinion should practice as much with sticks as they do prone ,No in fact twice as much with sticks. ;)

Roedinator said:
ian everybody to their own but if i was shooting at anything
at 500 yds i wouldent faff about with sticks id be off a bipod
regards pete .

dont talk about shots at 500m, you'll get us shutdown like uk varminting :D

Go for whatever you are comfortable with, but practice practice and more practice is the key. As L.D.G I personally do not like bipods as a lot of my stalking is close quarter forestry work and use sticks all the time. Different situations require different methods.
Hill stalking they are an added bonus if you can handle the extra weight.
Paul

sorry to those that disagree but having a bi-pod is essential. Obviously you don't have to use it every shot but I carry pod fitted and sticks together always. Practice and experience makes the decision making process automatic and fast when you have options. I have missed opportunities because I've had one but not the other. NEVER AGAIN :evil:

Now some might say practice on sticks and forget the bi-pod but you need both because and the proof.... well today on what is a real sticks for the rides ground I dumped the sticks in a flash to make a neck shot off the Harris on a sika looking right at me that was the only shot option with a rising ride up the hill behind.

It was just off a rides crossing to my left and it saw me move before I saw it but the sun was behind me which made it hard for him to figure my profile. At 70m of my harris the shot was done through a smooth move to ground while dumping sticks and prepping legs in probably no more that 10 seconds start to finish with a high degree of accuracy and certainty that sticks couldn't provide.

I'll post the picture later but I'd have been absolutely gutted if I'd taken off my Harris because 'I didn't need it' for the day. Think about it

:confused:

Paul are your sticks the DIY type form B&Q?!

I have sticks that look like those holding up the runner beans at the minute but l may rob them to save my Polecats!

lol!

T

:lol: Well spotted Tommo, £5 worth of canes from B&Q. Handful of free laggy bands from work holding them together!!! Value = priceless

Good luck mate :)

Paul there are times when a bipod would be handy but for me it is extremely rare so rare that i don't have one. But i did in the past. Now what if that beast and it is a beast well done had ****ed off with all that messing about i am sure at 70 -80 0r even ninety meters i would have shot that stag with out thinking about dropping to the ground. But it is down to practice and i don't practice off a bipod because i don't have one and i zero my rifle off small sticks that slip in the wellies.But each to there own . If i take any one out and they tell me there comfortable at a hundred off a bipod i really do worry if they can make the shot off the sticks .If i have a chap out with no bipod on and he says he is comfortable at 100 i seem to relax ab-it. My feeling is the bipod gives many a shooter a false feeling of accuracy.

Back