Recent visit to Germany - my first Boar

FlyBoy270

A great weeks hunting, heavy rain first evening, Wednesday, a couple of Foxes shot with 22 Hornet drilling - with three barrels, no pigs seen Thursday evening but shot a Roe Buck in the Lorrach area, then Friday skinned and butchered the Roe then off north to another area renown for its high Boar population in the afternoon. Arrived late after 4 hours driving at around 8.00 pm straight into high seat with a highly experienced guide who appologised for the wind direction and not being able to take me to his preferred spot. At 9.00 a young Keiler appeared, a few moments later I had harvested my first Wild Boar, .308 150gr Barnes X from some vintage PMC factory shot from a shortened BSA CF2, he dressed out at 40kg. Then drinking the Boars health until the wee hours after due ceremony complete with Blaser Horns and last post.

Next night out again in a different part of the Forest with my good friend close by and another German hunter about 1 km away, they were lucky I was not, tally 1 small boar, 20kg plus Roe Doe and Kid, more celebrations.
Next day returned to the Lorrach area via a shooting range where I was able to try the Running Boar target and get my proficiency certificate with small bore and Fullbore required for my return visit towards the end of the year for a driven hunt.
Decamped to another Hunters area on Monday due to my friends work commitments and went out Monday night, nothing seen then out again Tuesday night with two old friends from Red Stag stalking in Scotland, Markus & Siegfried, to their hunting area. At 8.45 three frischlinge appeared red like Foxes and we watched them for 40 minutes before they left, too small to shoot at around 15 kg.

Around 40 mins later I saw a shadow approach the same feeding area, then I could clearly see a more mature pig coming to the Maize, it devoured the remaining Maize and it could clearly be heard crunching its food, from 90m ! We waited and watched, markus stared intently at the pig to determine its sex and to ensure it was not the mother of the three frischlinge we had seen earlier, at last he was happy and said I could take the shot if I was happy with it, but it was further than they would normally shoot, the light was now fading fast and I could not see the pig easily without the scope.

I could see he had moved back from the maize and had turned at 45 degrees with his head down towards me but facing downhill, I placed the crosshair on his chest just to the right of his right front leg joint to hit the heart and squeezed, the flash from the 30-06 Ruger No1 totally destroyed my night vision and when I looked, no boar, we heard a crash from the left that sounded like his escape. We waited 10 mins and surveyed the spot where he had been, no blood, no tissue or hair, we searched around for about an hour in full dark now, it was suggested I might have gone over the top, but I had felt happy the shot was on target. So it was agreed they would search with a special dog in the morning early, I was catching my flight so would not be able to assist and I asked they let me know by SMS what they find, on landing I received a message - Waidmannsheil toast to your boar, he ran 150m - Siegfried found him with his dog Silva, a 50kg keiler, the shot was good, no exit wound, all is good !
We celebrate with two bottles of Cremant, unfortunately without you
greetings Markus, Siegfried and the dog Silva.

cracking week !
FlyBoy270

A great weeks hunting, heavy rain first evening, Wednesday, a couple of Foxes shot with 22 Hornet drilling - with three barrels, no pigs seen Thursday evening but shot a Roe Buck in the Lorrach area, then Friday skinned and butchered the Roe then off north to another area renown for its high Boar population in the afternoon. Arrived late after 4 hours driving at around 8.00 pm straight into high seat with a highly experienced guide who appologised for the wind direction and not being able to take me to his preferred spot. At 9.00 a young Keiler appeared, a few moments later I had harvested my first Wild Boar, .308 150gr Barnes X from some vintage PMC factory shot from a shortened BSA CF2, he dressed out at 40kg. Then drinking the Boars health until the wee hours after due ceremony complete with Blaser Horns and last post.

Next night out again in a different part of the Forest with my good friend close by and another German hunter about 1 km away, they were lucky I was not, tally 1 small boar, 20kg plus Roe Doe and Kid, more celebrations.
Next day returned to the Lorrach area via a shooting range where I was able to try the Running Boar target and get my proficiency certificate with small bore and Fullbore required for my return visit towards the end of the year for a driven hunt.
Decamped to another Hunters area on Monday due to my friends work commitments and went out Monday night, nothing seen then out again Tuesday night with two old friends from Red Stag stalking in Scotland, Markus & Siegfried, to their hunting area. At 8.45 three frischlinge appeared red like Foxes and we watched them for 40 minutes before they left, too small to shoot at around 15 kg.

Around 40 mins later I saw a shadow approach the same feeding area, then I could clearly see a more mature pig coming to the Maize, it devoured the remaining Maize and it could clearly be heard crunching its food, from 90m ! We waited and watched, markus stared intently at the pig to determine its sex and to ensure it was not the mother of the three frischlinge we had seen earlier, at last he was happy and said I could take the shot if I was happy with it, but it was further than they would normally shoot, the light was now fading fast and I could not see the pig easily without the scope.

I could see he had moved back from the maize and had turned at 45 degrees with his head down towards me but facing downhill, I placed the crosshair on his chest just to the right of his right front leg joint to hit the heart and squeezed, the flash from the 30-06 Ruger No1 totally destroyed my night vision and when I looked, no boar, we heard a crash from the left that sounded like his escape. We waited 10 mins and surveyed the spot where he had been, no blood, no tissue or hair, we searched around for about an hour in full dark now, it was suggested I might have gone over the top, but I had felt happy the shot was on target. So it was agreed they would search with a special dog in the morning early, I was catching my flight so would not be able to assist and I asked they let me know by SMS what they find, on landing I received a message - Waidmannsheil toast to your boar, he ran 150m - Siegfried found him with his dog Silva, a 50kg keiler, the shot was good, no exit wound, all is good !
We celebrate with two bottles of Cremant, unfortunately without you
greetings Markus, Siegfried and the dog Silva.

cracking week !
FlyBoy270

Well done

Back