Thread: Still Not Sure About The Rut

Still Not Sure About The Rut

Well, I went out this morning directly after finishing my shift at work and decided to give the Cherrywood Call a go. As soon as I'd got parked up and my kit together I set off for a place on the shoot where the keeper has seen a roe buck a couple of times. The buck's not a very popular chap as he's taken to bedding down in the new maize cover crop, flattening some of it. I set myself up with the rifle on the sticks and started to do my sultriest doe impression. After a couple of pheeps I could see some movement in the long grass just off to my left. After a couple more the buck came out of the grass and was looking round for the source of the noise. Well he found it, but I don't think he had time to realise his mistake before I shot him.
    He's quite a young buck and I doubt very much he would have been able to compete with an older buck, so he must have thought all his birthdays had come at once when he heard a mating call so close.
    Gralloch completed and carcasse secured against fly strike I decided to keep trying my luck at different places along my stalking route, but alas, there were no further takers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colveston buck 31 07 13.jpg   only just 6 points.jpg  
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Nice picture, well at least you have seen and shot one!