any help gratefully received

bally

hello you guys i hope this is in the right place i am looking for range facilities for center fire rifle in 40 or 50 mile radius of manchestewr any ideas please or do you know anybody who runs sporting rifle courses :confused:

Your closest range complex would be Altcar ranges just south of Southport if you contact them they would tell you of any civiy clubs that use there ranges .
No doubt some of the guys down that neck of the woods can be of more assistance with local knowledge .

Diggle is probably the nearest. http://www.diggleranges.com/index.htm

Notwithstanding this, however, I have in the 6 years I've held FAC only ever used the range at Minsterley, south of Shrewsbury. While it is about 90 miles away, and only has 50 and 100yds, it is possible as a rule to spend a 10am-4pm at a firing-point happily shooting away. I think they would do tuition, if that's what you'd like. http://www.minsterleyranges.com/

I should add that I am Manchester-based.

thank you

regards and thank you for this it is a starting point all i want to do is become familiar with my rifle before stalking
:) regards

Minsterley is ok have used it for some load developement,
Only able to shoot at 100m max but if you go in the week
you can end up there on your own.
Cost £25 per day last time I went plus you need to have or buy a backing board plus take a staple gun with you if you have one.
As for Diggle excellent range but you need to be a member or have ranges
on your FAC then you can shoot in the competitions. Not what you want to do,plus it is a 3 month probation period minimum.
Need to build a load for some 140grain bullets,if I go to Minsterley in the next few weeks you can catch alift. I would probably go midweek though,live Stockport side of Manchester.

Range safety isn't top of the list at minsterely, purely because people can roll up while your downrange, not a comfortable feeling when peeps you don't know are handling firearms behind the line or even on the points.

Couldn't agree more!! This is one of the reasons i go mid week, most people I have been on the range with was 4.
Get very twitchy when I am going down the range,usually wait till everone needs to go.
Also one of the reason I am in the process of joining Diggle plus I like to shoot more than the couple of times a year that I can afford at the moment.
Diggle will also let me shoot out to 1000yrds, lad there the other month shooting bench rest with remmy 700 .308 posted some good groups for what he was using against the all singing all dancing BR stuff.

I live in Manchester and funnily enough I drove down to Minsterley for the first time last weekend. It's a brilliant range 15x100yd benches and 2x50yd plus running boar. Took me about an hour as have family near Mold but imagine it's about 2hrs from Manchester. £25 all day aswell! :)

Or you could try Stead Hall Rifle and Pistol club, other side of Bradford near Burley in Wharfedale. This has 2x100yd underground ranges unfortunately it's only open Mon,Wed Fri 1730 to 2100. I've had to stop going as I cant get out of work early enough to miss the traffic on the M62. I think you have to be a member(could always phone and check) about £100 membership + £5 per day.

Hi Bally,

If your contemplating a visit to minsterley then PM me. I will be going up there in the next couple of weeks to work on some home loads (probably on a Friday) and would be happy to give you some pointers on safety ETC.
I really wouldn't suggest that you go to the lads at Minsterley for training as they haven't got the right people working for them anymore, i'm sure they will train you but how valuable that would be is questionable.

Don't go to Minsterley without ringing ahead first as they have a habit of shutting shop if they are quiet.
The range is still good but the reloading area has now been closed due to disrepair.

Ezzy

Bally
there is a new underground range just opened between Leek and Ashbourne
i think you can also get 1-1 tutition at a small cost
P1090568.jpg

good set up and easy to find
ATB

stone said:
Bally
there is a new underground range just opened between Leek and Ashbourne
i think you can also get 1-1 tutition at a small cost
good set up and easy to find
ATB
Thats a hell of a range that has to be about 15 miles :eek: :D :D

Try the Rossendale Fusiliers Rifle & Pistol Club at rawtenstall. 25 mins from trafford centre, we got separate covered firing points at 50 and 100m with a big log fire in the lounge area to keep you warm when it gets a bit chilly, and are in the process of finishing the 200m+ range of at the min. It £100 for the year and thats all you pay and come as many times as you want. Oh we have a practical shotgun range too or just shoot clays if you want.

Cheers Gavin.

ranges

thanks all you guys tremendous reply lots to go at
dont require safety training although you can never be sure just need to get familiar with my .243 rifle at as many diferent distances ezzy i will let you know if i decide to go to mintsry ranges
regards bally

your last post just reminded me of something, keep it simple & get out on some ground with somone or get on a civilian/private range, to use any mod range you will need to go through an induction/safety briefing & then be supervised one on one until the chairperson of the civvy club you were with signs you off as competent, Steve.

Range

I was taken to a range near Saddleforth Moor about 6 years ago, very tidy set-up with various ranges, the longest was 1000 yards.

If I can get hold of the guy who took me I will let you know. He is in India
just now.

Brianm

Back