Thread: Clarissa's spicy rabbit

Clarissa's spicy rabbit

From the ingredient list, you could be forgiven for thinking this would come out tasting disgusting. But it doesn't, it's delicious.

1 rabbit, jointed
    seasoned flour
    butter [and I also add olive oil]
    1 large onion, cut into slices
    1 tablespoon each of
    - Tabasco sauce
    - Worcestershire sauce
    - dried mustard powder [I use a mere 2 heaped teaspoons of French mustard]
    - tomato ketchup
    - HP sauce or similar
    1 bottle of lager [I used Becks]
    1 white sandwich loaf, torn into marble-sized pieces

As I had 1 1/2 rabbits (don't ask) I doubled the sauces and used three bottles of Becks plus one for the cook.

Preheat the oven to 180C (170C fan). Mix the sauces in a bowl. Dust the pieces of rabbit (put the flour into a poly bag, drop in a couple of pieces of rabbit and shake). Heat the buuter & oil in a heavy pan and brown the rabbit on both sides. Remove the rabbit from the pan and place into an oven proof dish.

Fry the onion until somewhat browned, add the sauce mix and lager and heat through. Once it is simmering, pour it over the rabbit and coat with the pieces of white bread. Dot the bread with butter. Cover with tin foil and cook for 1 hour for young tender harvest bunnies or two hours for tough ancient old bucks. Check every 1/2 hour and if it appears to be too dry, add more beer and butter. In the final 15 minutes, remove the foil and raise the temperature to 200C.

It also works with squirrel and would probably work with pheasant (a good way to use pheasant legs).

"As I had 1 1/2 rabbits (don't ask)...."

You have a .17HMR?

1.5 last year i ended up with half a hare, but it cooked up just like a whole one..
    i have done very similar with squirrel when in usa but used the bread to mop up the sauce....mmmmm mmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Irish Bob View Post
    "As I had 1 1/2 rabbits (don't ask)...."

You have a .17HMR?
    No, that's one I don't have. These two were donated to me by someone who's only recently taken up bunny bashing with a .22. He shot them on Sunday evening (about 11pm) and dropped them off here about 8am on Monday. They hadn't been paunched and it had been warm. I expected head shots but no, one was through the shoulders and the other through the guts. Hence by the time I'd trimmed off the bloodshot forelegs off one and the offensive tenderloins off the other, I had about 1-1/2 rabbits. I did ask why he had shot them when all he could see was their backs and his answer was that the ground is plaugued with bunnies and the farmer wants the population knocking back.