Sauer 202 in .308

woodmaster

Hi Guys.
Looking for some load data using Vhit N140 and 150gr sp boat tail. So if anyone has info specific to the above rifle would save me some time. Second what is the best shooting in procedure for a new barrel (hammer forged) I think.
Any info would be appreciated.

Hi Guys.
Looking for some load data using Vhit N140 and 150gr sp boat tail. So if anyone has info specific to the above rifle would save me some time. Second what is the best shooting in procedure for a new barrel (hammer forged) I think.
With Vhit N140 any amount of powder from about 42grns to 46grns will get you a useable load in 308 through a Sauer. I found mine to shoot from reasonable through to stupidly accurate within that range, with the sweet spot being at or around 46grns and about 2750fps.
​Start at 42grs and you'll not go wrong.

Hi Harry.
Thanks for that. Can you tell me what bullet you were using? I have a Sauer in 6.5x55 and that also seems to do well at the higher end of powder charge.
​Book gives 41.8 to 47.1 so your load of 46 seems reasonable. Thanks.

I know of two 202's one left hand and one right hand stutzen that shoot extremely well with 44gr N140 with 150gr interlock (non boat tail though)
COL was 70.5mm as far as I know. That load shot accurate out of every 308 it was tried in. One did 2" at 300m.
edi

The bullet I use is the Speer 150 grn Mag-tip. My Sauer's not fussy at al when it comes to 150grn bullets, and shoots all of them well somewhere within the weight range mentioned.

Hi Harry. Tried the 308 today with some ammo I'd made up for the Heym. It had been Full length sized so ok for the Sauer. I shot a 1" group no probs. Just wondering what leade (jump) you have on your rounds. I use 20 thou off lands on my 6.5 but this is probably not possible on the 308 using a boat tail so just had col of 2.700" on my last 308. Any info on the Sauer?

When it comes to seating depth I seat all my bullets one calibre deep. At stalking ranges (200m max for me), I've found there's no noticable difference between that and playing with seating depth. I will say, though, that when seated further out it does reduce the standard deviation readings over the chrono.

cheers Harry. Haven't had chance to do any more reloading as was out stalking for 3 days and didn't want to be confusing myself. I do have room to put them out to col of 2.800" so may make a few up just to see if group opens or closes or stays the same. Don't have a chrony as I don't get that technical. Thanks for the info.

Hi Guys.

I have the very same rifle at the moment, while I decide what to do about my shot out .270.

I understand from Steve Beaty that there is no need to shoot in a 202 barrel, just use it as you would normally and don't over clean it. Can't help with the load data as I'm shooting 165gn Barnes TSX and 165gn Partitions.

​Adam.

Thanks Adam. Glad I don't need to do much shooting in. I have fired 10 shots setting scope up, then cleaned, then shot 4 the other day just to check zero on new batch of ammo made. I'll clean again now and then just every so often after stalking unless I've been playing with loads etc.

To be fair, if you want to get the best accuracy from your rifle you must put the time in and do your own load development. Just because one rifle shoots well with one load doesn't mean they all will (even if they are the same make and model) due to differing amounts of throat erosion etc seating depths/pressures will vary.

Back