Old stag up tight

John Gryphon

Perfect wind after sighting at 200 yards,sneaked like a serpent up to him at 20 yards,I needed to be in tight as the clumps of cover prohibited taking longer shots.He finally fed into an avenue between clumps of cover.
​Though it had sparse long grass stalks that ruined what could have been a great series of photos.That and the sun setting behind him with the late time also didnt help...I was shaking with knee strain and excitement too ha ha. I love it!

He`s on the way out,look at those pancake coronets!

oldbullupclose_zps00e1caad.jpg

oldbullupclose2_zpsb0477f23.jpg

Great stuff mate. I've had some really enjoyable stalks over the years without the rifle. Never really been good with a camera like you are but have some very fond memories. Sika particularly for me. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing some more.

Also - just noticed his left ear appears to be missing the bottom edge - interesting.

No he didnt know "I" was there as soon as you are found to be anything human they are gone in an instance.Due to the late part of the day and the low light and me being a wombat he prob thought of me as a `roo or other natural animal around him.

Yes that is a piece out of his ear,fighting,farm fence or just scrub damage,who knows?

Hi John

Great photos - '...on the way out...' reads like 'tough as old boots'!

Cheers

L

Think we need to look into scope mounted cameras!! We can take out photos then take our shot! Best of both worlds!! :)

There was a scope brought out years ago with an integral digital camera that took pics through the cross hairs as you fired the shot.

Indeed 'tough as' I said to the mate last night on the ph that he is a real trophy after living this long...good headskin/cape for another set of antlers and then mince the whole lot of him for snags....a couple of hundred kilos of them.

Yes they look fantastic when they think they are unseen and go about their strutting and thrashing of trees and bushes,the strength is enormous and they turn solid saplings in whips when then get into them. They certainly do have attitude.

Back