digger9523

Picked up my old girl yesterday!

IMG_1423_zps75784477.jpg

IMG_1424_zpsbe020398.jpg

IMG_1431_zps2bf6c41e.jpg

IMG_1432_zps6bb0393b.jpg

IMG_1433_zps69ed9768.jpg

IMG_1434_zps2012cfe2.jpg

​ 1917 vintage, has a heavy barrel, would have been a sharpshooters rifle. :cool:

Think ill be keeping me Blaser digger :D
​regards pete

See, that's the trouble with Blasers, sheep following sheep! :D I'd already said you can keep your Blaser, and now you're saying it back! I knew the force was strong in my family, but that's some going! :rofl:

No romance in your soul Pete......lol

Closet Jerry mate! :D

Very nice, but I suspect you'll soon be telling us the bayonet -you do have one, don't you?- is for humane despatch!

What else could it be for? ;)

A superb piece of history. Fair play to you.

​I wonder how many Blasers will still be fit for purpose in 100 years time.........? :rofl:

:stir:

Oh that is lovely ! I run a P14 because in general they are more accurate but without doubt the smelly is the darling of the service 303's IMO and yours is Gorgous !

and the one thing blasers claim is speed but I bet I could rattle more aimed shots out of the smelly in a minute particularly a mad minute then you ever could with a blaser?

Last edited:
Oh that is lovely ! I run a P14 because in general they are more accurate but without doubt the smelly is the darling of the service 303's IMO and yours is Gorgous !

and the one thing blasers claim is speed but I bet I could rattle more aimed shots out of the smelly in a minute particularly a mad minute then you ever could with a blaser?

Me and thee are of the same opinion my good man. :british:

Nice. Are you certain it has the heavy barrel? That's a nice find. Who did the wood?? Do all the numbers match?~Muir

Positive re heavy barrel mate:

IMG_1429_zps4df33d99.jpg

Timber is all original, just had a light sanding and it's been waxed. Serial number is on the stock, bolt handle, action, barrel, rear sight and nose cap. So all matching. :cool:

Positive re heavy barrel mate:

IMG_1429_zps4df33d99.jpg

Timber is all original, just had a light sanding and it's been waxed. Serial number is on the stock, bolt handle, action, barrel, rear sight and nose cap. So all matching. :cool:

Yup. That's the mark. I get a lot of people telling me that the "HV" mark on the barrel stands for "Heavy", which of course, ain't so. Is the bore as good as the rest of the gun?? I shoot a lot of cast bullets in 303 to the extent that I had two molds made to my specs for them. One a .317" diameter with a .307 nose for the really worn rifles, and another .315" diameter with a .305" nose for the average gun. Great fun. A buddy and I used to go out near Cuba, New Mexico to a long box canyon filled with jumbles of red rock. We'd pick a rock waaaaay out there and lob these 215 grain torpedos into it, noting the white splash with binoculars. We snapped a lot of caps doing that!

Let us know how it shoots.~Muir

Something is not adding up on your rifle ? Not wanting to rain on your parade or detract thats its a nice looking rifle .
But the reciver show's its well used the barrel you have shown shows lots of marks. But the wood is pristine and not the wood of a 95 year old battle rifle, also the rear site protector is not showing the same wear as the reciver bridge, nor is the bolt handle showing wear. Which makes me question its condition as alot of it looks very new for its age.
I had one of the same vintage reciver that had been built with spare parts and had all matching numbers. Has it got a Regiment number on it ?

Yup. That's the mark. I get a lot of people telling me that the "HV" mark on the barrel stands for "Heavy", which of course, ain't so. Is the bore as good as the rest of the gun?? I shoot a lot of cast bullets in 303 to the extent that I had two molds made to my specs for them. One a .317" diameter with a .307 nose for the really worn rifles, and another .315" diameter with a .305" nose for the average gun. Great fun. A buddy and I used to go out near Cuba, New Mexico to a long box canyon filled with jumbles of red rock. We'd pick a rock waaaaay out there and lob these 215 grain torpedos into it, noting the white splash with binoculars. We snapped a lot of caps doing that!

Let us know how it shoots.~Muir

Bore is excellent! Won't take a .305 bore gauge, and a .303 gauge is nice and firm. Only had 9 rounds to fire the day i picked her up, but she shot well.

IMG_1436_zpsbb75d42f.jpg

IMG_1435_zps26f93f76.jpg

Found some more ammo to use, shall do some playing and show some results. ;)

"Something is not adding up on your rifle ? Not wanting to rain on your parade or detract thats its a nice looking rifle .
But the reciver show's its well used the barrel you have shown shows lots of marks. But the wood is pristine and not the wood of a 95 year old battle rifle, also the rear site protector is not showing the same wear as the reciver bridge, nor is the bolt handle showing wear. Which makes me question its condition as alot of it looks very new for its age.
I had one of the same vintage reciver that had been built with spare parts and had all matching numbers. Has it got a Regiment number on it ?"

Timber on a battle rifle is like handles and heads on Triggers broom mate.

Parts break, parts are replaced. There is no sentimentality in a serving armourers shop, all the rifles are the same, and an armourers job is to make sure they're all serviceable. For all i know the stock was smashed up on it's last day of service and a brand new set of timber was put on. The day i picked it up i looked through a vast collection of rare enfields of all ages. One was a Pristine never been fired bar two proof rounds Lithgow No.1 Mk iii* There are still rifles knocking around in immaculate order, they don't Have to look like they've just been dragged out from under a pile of bodies on the Somme to be original. Mine would have served as a sharpshooters rifle, and as such would have been issued to a man with a certain degree of professionalism about him, and who knew how to look after it in order to get the best out of it, and not a drafted in trooper with not much interest in anything else other than surviving. :tiphat:

Without going back in a time machine and following the rifle through all its days i can't tell you how old it is. :)

Digger, nice bit of kit there fella, had a confirmed Blaser phobe out with me this morning to have a go at a Roe Buck or two, as he had been more than a gentleman and lent his scope rings to a buddy, he had to use my
trusty old R8 in 30.06 and in his words it was the best rifle that he had ever used, much better than his Finnish turn bolt.

Digger, nice bit of kit there fella, had a confirmed Blaser phobe out with me this morning to have a go at a Roe Buck or two, as he had been more than a gentleman and lent his scope rings to a buddy, he had to use my
trusty old R8 in 30.06 and in his words it was the best rifle that he had ever used, much better than his Finnish turn bolt.

I do believe sir is about to receive a visit from.....

21_zpscbc8f60e.jpg

He told me on the day we had this old girl of mine on the range that This was the best rifle he'd Ever fired. :finger:

Last edited:
I know he is so fickle!! No BS, he just loves playing with other mens weapons!! Strange man indeed.

I can see him selling up all of his gear and just touring the countryside using everybody else's stuff.

Makes sense, why pay x-thousands on all your own stuff when you can let somebody else pay for it and then just use theirs? ;)

Back