Deleted by User

hi Pete E
i hav the use of 2 chillers at the father inlaws
the 6x8 was a freebie about 15 years old which i had an old air conditioning unit fitted to it with filled with refridgeration gas, works damn good :eek:utlay was £200 plus a bit of venison
the other is 10x8 free from a flower shop when it closed down and the father inlaw fitted a proper unit to that as he does a few turkeys and geese for christmas not sure how many deer they will hold as i hav never managed to shoot that many in one go but like you said no more getting up a 3am, shooting 2 roebucks back for 7am and the having to fight the flies off while skinning and jointing up before breakfast ,just bang them in the chiller, roe liver on toast for brekkie, go to work and skin and joint when it suits me,
as for the boar get a winch set up (damn do they smell )do not want to struggle lifting one of those

I share a refridgerated lorry body with a mate. It is far two big but we keep it on a farm where we do most of our vermin control and deer and the farmer is happy to pay the electric for us (Nice bloke!!) I reckon we have room for about 30 carcasses if we wanted to!

I hang my carcases in the garage much to my better halves displeasure. And She goes nuts when I bring the carcuse into the kitchen to butcher it :p

Pete E,
you need someone with fridging experience to regas the fridge system definitly not a diy job

steve

Hi PeteE,

Um no but if I did I would be in her bad books for quite some time if I did. Was bad enought when I left a bit of blood on the wall and floor from last time.

Jase.

I have one of those landig chillers that will take two fallow. Possible the best bit of kit to invest in after a good rifle and scope. Now i can shoot all year round whatever the weather and hanging the meat 2 weeks at 2oC makes butchering a dream and the meat tastes much better.

DSCN1430.jpg

Mark

Pete E said:
Not sure what you are doing at the minute, but what I found helps is to skin and quarter the carcass while its hanging up and then only take the individual haunches ect through to the kitchen to deal..

We have the same agreement in Mole Towers - skinning & jointing in the garage, remainder done in the kitchen. Mrs Mole once let me skin out two roe does hanging off the kitchen Sheila Maid clothes dryer when it was about -10 outside, but made it very clear that was a one-off........

Mind you, I'm allowed to boil out heads on the kitchen hob as long as she's out and I keep the windows open. Can't complain.

hi Pete E
i hav a mate who is a fridge engineer and he converted the air conditioning unit for me and wired it all up aswell
i thought it was better left to the expert on this occasion , i can do most things but refridegeration is above my spec, i always cut my beasts up while in the fridge then move them piece meal to the gutting shed as we call it at home and cut the joints up in smaller bits and package and labell them before i put them in the freezer
yours stone

There are some fridges at not bad money on E-bay at the moment look in Business - catering and retail - refrigeration or something along those lines 1 add has 2 for £150 in Exeter so get together with a mate and get 1 each for £75.
hope this is of help

Dickie.

We had a gas leak in our chiller and had to call the fridge man in. He pumped more gas in and a dye so that he could see the leak. Left it running, popped back two days later and saw the hole, repaired it, regassed it and charged me £80. Bargain I thought.

If anyone wants to buy a freezer/chiller, make sure it works. if it is out of gas it is scrap unless you have all the gear and spares to repair it, most old fridges use gas that is not allowed to be refilled in the uk, and if the condenser/evap is leaking then it is probably obsolete and you will find it expensive to scrap the cabinet, as they have cfc foam in them, also the local waste dispoal(tip) they may think you are commercial which leads to special waste,

steve

If anybody wants a "Coke fridge chiller” they hold a couple of fallow you can get a red hind but it is a little tight PM “Hog” on here, he checks them all before you get one so you will have no problems.

One of the best investments I have made, it allows you to hang your venison properly and you get improved quality of meat.

Best rgds

Thar

i got one of those double door coca cola friges off the local shopkeeper for free, was only 6 months old, would have cost him 40 euro to recycle it, nice!!

Back