Head cutting products

Robbo617

Hi,

not really ventured into trophy prep before, would anyone recommend any of the skull cutting jigs on the market? Or the ones to a avoid? and are there any that can do the larger species ie red as well as the smaller ones like roe? Or do you need a different ones for each?
Any advice gladly recreceived

cheers

Jim

Head cutting jigs are expensive and I found them easy to bend. I just use a sharp hard point wood saw after the head has been skinned but before it has been boiled, you can normally get them fairly straight but any that are a bit skewiff you can fair up on a belt sander before mounting.

Thanks for that jubnut, was at a game fair today watching them measuring medal heads and some of them looked like they had been cut with a laser!! Very neat and some amazing heads!! I have always had the same approach as you and never had such impressive results!! Fairly straight would be an improvement!! Lol

Head cutting jigs are expensive and I found them easy to bend. I just use a sharp hard point wood saw after the head has been skinned but before it has been boiled, you can normally get them fairly straight but any that are a bit skewiff you can fair up on a belt sander before mounting.

Spot on. Bench belt sander from machine mart will cost less than a roe jig!

I got my jig from Bushwear, they sell them for £30 + p+p.

It works fine for me, hasn't bent, well made, gives an accurate cut and if they end up wonky then it's operator error!

+1 had a jig at one time but have not used one for many years nor would I go back to one, if cutting freehand
its not a bad idea to cut from either side ending up in the middle that way if you do go off a little it will not be noticeable when mounted.

As has been said a belt sander would be ideal for truing up heads, I don't have one and use an angle grinder
with a four and a half inch grinding disc it works a treat and takes seconds.

Finally if grinding or sanding bone wear a mask, the fine dust is not conducive to health.

Thanks for the advice, I actually have a grinder too! I like the idea of starting at opposite sides of the skull!! This would definitely make levelling off alot easier!!

​Need to go find a good head now and put this into practice!! Lol

Thanks for the advice, I actually have a grinder too! I like the idea of starting at opposite sides of the skull!! This would definitely make levelling off alot easier!!

​Need to go find a good head now and put this into practice!! Lol

​Haha. Don't practice on a good one.

Back