Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shooting stick suggestions

Shooting stick suggestions

Good morning chaps, I am hoping I may be able to get some advice from the experienced guys on here...I am sure this has been covered before but I though I would ask.

I am booked on my DSC1 in September so have been revising about ID etc but since my FAC is in process with West Mids and may be for some time by the sounds of it, I need to get some practice in at shooting off sticks for the shooting test. I have shot off sticks a couple of times on paid stalks but need a lot more practice so I was going to go out bunny bashing using sticks.

This is where the question comes in...what sticks do you recommend? I don't want to spend a fortune but have no preference between the DIY route or the bought route. Both sets I used on paid stalks were the DIY green poles and cable tie job and they worked with the advantage of being able to use sitting down as well.

Do you experienced guys have any recommendations as to bought vs DIY and tripod vs bipod sticks?

Many thanks

Declared bias as we sell the Robertson Kits to convert the green plastic/ steel canes.

Sounding like really am biased, but have yet to find a set of off the shelf sticks that tick all the boxes. Primos trigger sticks are slick and fairly cool to use - but always noisy, weigh a ton and wont adjust low enough for most sitting shots - and similar applies across the board.

Limmus's quad sticks look about the neatest quad set I have ever seen - I'm sure users on here will vouch for them.

We make the made up Robertson kits available on our DSC1 courses and something over 80% choose to use them. Whether using such a kit or not, I'd recommend giving the canes a try - its a cheap way to testing which format you prefer. Just aim to try to have then adjustable and try to avoid drilling holes in them.

My most common carry is a bi stick set. It is used mostly for walking and then steadying the occasional shot. Personally find a tri-stick arrangement doesn't give a materially steadier rest than two sticks. If steady shooting is a prime goal, then I'll carry a quad set up. Bulkier to lug about, but performs as a bi stick in a rush, adjusts for standing or sitting shots and provides near prone like stability.

But it has to be said there are much steadier shooters off sticks than me! So really do recommend having a play around before committing.
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016

BQ quad sticks 21 all in for me, it stops that hart beat sway on the bi sticks now days lol

Andy? John, I agree with most of that, just a couple of small things, I have found tri sticks to be much steadier than bi ones, might just be a personal thing, have never tried quad sticks so can't comment.

The following is regarding plastic coated metal garden canes.
    Why avoid drilling holes? always drill mine as that is how I make them have never used Hoover belts cable ties etc.
    drill a hole seven inches from the top of two of the sticks join them with a small bolt and nylon washers attach a two inch strip of leather at one end of the bolt head end is probably best, do up the bolt so the sticks can swivel a locking nut on the end of the bolt is a good idea to prevent the bolt from working loose.

Cut seven inches from the top of the third stick, plug the cut end either retrieve the end plug from the section you have cut off or you can fill it with body filler, epoxy resin or whatever.

drill two holes in the top of the short stick and two corresponding holes in the piece of leather opposite end from which you have already attached to the two sticks, now bolt together, I say two holes as I have tried it with one and the leather tends to swivel on the stick , two keeps it in place.

I find that this method works better than the Hoover belts as you don't need to move the belts for different heights, by just pushing the legs of the tripod further apart you can accommodate standing, kneeling and sitting positions.

For best results ensure the short leg is to the front.

back to drilling the canes , you guys know how I am with anything vaguely mechanical and have broken plenty of stick one way or another, have never had them break where they have been drilled, usually get broken by some tw*t closing the truck door on them, nine times out of ten me

Not trying to talk people out of buying your kits, but this is an easy cheap way of making a set of sticks easy as it takes ten to fifteen minutes to make a set, cheap as apart from the canes will probably cost nothing as the bolts and leather many people will have lying about even if you have to go out and buy them you are talking pence.

DIY is the way forward!!

i bolted mine together
    both twin and quad sticks

too many sticks I have seen are noisy and not well thought out.
    use o-rings round the sticks to stop them clacking together and magnets to hold them together

you dont need huge padded tops to the fork end

​I also tapped a couple of panel pins into the base for spikes that work on any surface

cut my own hazel stick for the hill - check.
    made my own B&Q twin sticks - check
    bought a set of quad sticks from Tony (Limulus) - check...these are great when you need to shoot beyond the reach of twin sticks, but be ware,,they are a bugger to set up really quickly and without making too much commotion, they can be noisy if you are not really careful, they are not easy to track deer with (esp. when there's growth around the feet), and they are likely to scratch your wooden stock....that said. I actually bring them around 50% of the time now! LOL..

on that note, Tony, if you're reading this, you need to countersink the screwheads in the top of the sticks more, when you use them as twin sticks or the collapse from quads to twins, the screwheads hit each other and make a loud metal 'clink'..somethign 'soft' in between would be a great innovation for the Gen 2 sticks you'll undoubtedly bring to Kelso next year..oh, and some elastic that doesn't untie itself :-)...mind, I give your sticks 9/10, esp. at 40..well done sir.

Don't waste your money on the bought sticks. The home made plastic covered metal pole types do the job just fine whether you bolt them together or use elastic/cable ties. I prefer to drill and bolt mine, but I shoot freehand sitting so I don't need them to collapse down.

Do all your practicing with double sticks cut from two nice hazel wands lashed with twine or elastic and on the day use the DSQ course provider’s tripod setup. By then you’ll be so good at shooting a simulated DSC 1 test you’ll walk it as it will be like shooting off a bench so steady will you feel. Put another way the third leg stability you’ll enjoy will go a long way to canceling out any exam/test nerves you may suffer.

BT - its Andy. Yep FULLY AWARE of your mechanical PROWESS

Drilling the metal/plastic canes can be an issue of several fronts -

1. Drilling will severely weaken them. Sometimes an issue, sometimes not.
    2. Drilling likely helps moisture ingress and will hasten rust.
    3. A drilled pivot point is a fixed pivot point - the only way to adjust height wise is to open/close the stick angle. Often this entails pretty widely spread sticks to work for a sitting shot. The nearer horizontal these sticks are the less stable and weaker they become.
    4. Using some form of bolt together mechanism introduces likelihood of clatter/ noise and of the fastener working lose over time.

Risks coming over as hard sell - not the intention, but I fiddled about with lots of B & Q cane combinations over the years. Some options were cheap, some not. Most of it was ok. I then accompanied Mr Robertson out for a DSC2 stalk - probably 4 years ago now. You know how when something just looks right and you have to ask no further questions to know it is? That's how his sticks struck me. So impressed was I that I bought a pair off him - I still use them ( they are the bi sticks that are out as demo's on our stands ). They aren't as straight as they were and several feet have worn out. But they just quietly work, each time, every time no fuss through considerably more use in a year than most recreational stalkers will do in ten.

Am I going to say that a bit of rubber band/ tube etc wont serve you? Absolutely not. But we haven't had a kit returned yet; our firing point on the range has a number of perished rubber bands laying around it!

Bi, tri, quad, penta () I can only urge people to try things and see what suits them. Personally I really am not the world's greatest stick shooter, so can well believe that the finely hones athlete that is BT can get far steadier on tri sticks than I implied I could. If I was to carry a three cane set-up, I'd as soon carry a fourth and have all the advantages. But its a very personal thing.
    Stalking and Courses
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at Kelso, Scone & Moy 2016

he he this could go on a while your all wrong ha ha fox banksticks is the future two flicks of the clips and you go from full height to laying down and using them like a bypod, very sturdy lightweight but strong some 15mm pole foam covers the tubes so quite but fold down to go in the car or flight case for abroad. at the end of the day everyone has there own personal favourite its just getting out and trying a few models but i have found mine, atb and good luck wayne
    Last edited by mereside; 05-08-2013 at 13:17.
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site:
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports