Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Badgers in day light hours

Badgers in day light hours

Good afternoon, The ground we cover we have anbundance of badgers on, we always see these on the lamp when out for the old foxes but these last few months we are starting to see these during the day as well. At first we thought it was a one off, but this is happening on a regular basis. I've even took the wife and kid one afternoon to watch 3 of them playing on a bank at 4pm. I've seen them at dawn/dusk plenty but latly it seems starnge how often this is happening when the sun is high in the sky. Any one else seen a change in their habits like this? Years ago we use to see them in middle of the night and that was it.

There's a school of thought that if you see one in the day, its probably ill and justifiable to consider humanely dispatching it.

​however with three of them out together, I'd be flummoxed

saw two out in a field yesterday at 2pm first time ive seen them this early.

On my permission i have seen quite a few badgers in the afternoon and all look fit and well .

We have lots of badgers on the farm and, like you, normally only seem them after dusk but this year the ground has been so dry and hard I think they have been struggling to find enough food. I have seen several of this years cubs desperately searching in the hedgerows for something to eat, completely unconcerned at my presence within 2 feet of them. The deer kill quite a lot of cubs as they cross the paddocks; one good blow with a forefoot across the head and that's it. they only seem to be concerned about them while there are young calves about. They hate them more than foxes (but not as much as cats)

We see Badgers out in the daylight quite often. These two were out in the middle of the afternoon...
    Virtutis Gloria Merces

Plenty of youngsters out and about this time of year... Quite often see them mid afternoon onwards exploring about the headlands

We too have lots of badgers on the ground and during the summer months it is not unusual to see them up to 2 hours after dawn or 2 hours before dusk. I am no expert but my thoughts are that it may have something to do with the number of hours of darkness they have to find food, which are not many during the summer months.

I always find I see the badgers out more in daylight through the summer months!

Perhaps they were disturbed by the idiots with the Voovoozellas and decided that day times were quieter.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.