Curing Venison.....

willie_gunn

Not really a recipe, but I just got hold of a copy of "Manual of a Traditional Bacon Curer" by Maynard Davies - see http://www.amazon.co.uk/Manual-Trad...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256120984&sr=8-1

Maynard, if you haven't come across him before, was one of the last apprentices in bacon curing and is now a retired master curer. His two books on his life are both fascinating to read - they are also available on Amazon. I'd love to hear him interviewed on the radio or to meet the man.

This latest book documents all his recipes and experience, on everything from bacon curing, traditional sausage-making and bacon smoking to making paté, haggis, burgers, tongue, etc. Each section contains details of equipment, ingredients, meat cuts, curing and brining as well as a lot of good, old-fashioned, and mainly English recipes. The book contains many of Maynard's hints and tips, based on his lifetime in the industry. Given that he was in small-scale production, some of his recipes need to be factored down if you're only curing for your own consumption rather than volume, but that shouldn't be an issue.

The book arrived yesterday from Amazon and I can't wait to try out some of the recipes using venison. I've got most of the books on curing and smoking, but this one deserves pride of place on the shelf. For anyone who processes their own meat I'd thoroughly recommend it.

willie_gunn

I have ordered this book from Amazon, and looking forward to it arriving. Which of the recipes can you recommend?

Back