7mm 08 availability

jimbo1984

Hi gents ,
my fac will hopefully be here in the next few weeks I've applied for 7 mm 08 does anybody know where I can pick up a tikka off the shelf in this calibre?? It's as if I'm asking for something really exotic ! Gmk said they would have to order it in and it's a 4 -6 months wait! Which is ridiculous,
many thanks , jim

It took me a while to find a stainless M595 in 7-08 and Im glad I did. Superb rifle and brilliantly accurate

Shame that there are not more available off the shelf as it is a calibre which seems to be slowly increasing in popularity and I think it is a fantastic calibre for all uk deer. To be fair there is often a significant wait for some of the more common calibres depending upon supply chain issues. Keep looking and keep the faith, it will be worth the wait.

Thanks for the replies gents I'm ideally looking for a m 595 in good nick I'm fine buying a second hand rifle it just seems they're like hens teeth , I struggle to see how rarely they come up as I know 5 people who have a 7mm 08 so it can't be all that rare! It seems patience is in order!

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies gents I'm ideally looking for a m 595 in good nick I'm fine buying a second hand rifle it just seems they're like hens teeth , I struggle to see how rarely they come up as I know 5 people who have a 7mm 08 so it can't be all that rare! It seems patience is in order!

Yep don't rush into buying a rifle that isn't exactly what you want as its a right pain to change.

I spoke to GMK earlier this year and they were considering bringing in the 7mm-08 in the Sako 85. You'll probably find it hard to find a second hand one simply because we don't let go of them!

I believe you may have some luck with the Kimber 84M in 7mm-08, almost definitely my next rifle. Seen them, handled them, taken them apart, very nice rifle and seem well made. Importer and gunshop is Riflecraft.

​Persevere you won't regret it.

Just do what I did, buy a decent action, tikka or sako or whatever you fancy, and get a smith to rebarrel. There are loads of potential donor guns out there for not much money, allow £800 for a fitted barrel + whatever you pay for the donor gun...

Here's a few candidates

Sako .243 A11 Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 350.
Sako .243 AII Hunter Bolt Action Second Hand for sale. Buy for 375.
A good Idea!! :) I know a gunsmith too ! Do you know how easily available 7mm08 barrels are?

I searchered for ages for one and didnt find anything so bought an m595 delux and rebarelled and it frikin awesome to say the least! My mate then decided to get this calibre so we started searching and low and behold i found a secondhand m595 factoy 7mm08 minter, worked up a load thats exactly the same as mine and his is almost clover leafing!
You wont regret buying if you find!
heres my rifle,http://www.devoncustomrifles.co.uk/rifles.html#

I searchered for ages for one and didnt find anything so bought an m595 delux and rebarelled and it frikin awesome to say the least! My mate then decided to get this calibre so we started searching and low and behold i found a secondhand m595 factoy 7mm08 minter, worked up a load thats exactly the same as mine and his is almost clover leafing!
You wont regret buying if you find!
heres my rifle,http://www.devoncustomrifles.co.uk/rifles.html#
That's a beauty :) do you know how long it took them to locate a barrel ?

Yes 4 months due to me ordering a chromly barrel to have blued, it was supposed to be 3 but lothar had a miltary order to sort, oh and its fluted! i stripped and oiled the stock myself under olaf from this site gave me guidance oh and fitted the recoil pad myself!
That's a beauty :) do you know how long it took them to locate a barrel ?

Barrels blanks are easy to get hold of, some smiths will be busier than others, but assuming they don't have a barrel blank on the shelf allow 3-4 weeks to get the barrel and 3-4 weeks to get it proofed...

I have used Andy Massingham and Steve Kershaw, but other smiths are available.... Steve kershaw is in yorkshire...

Before getting my .308 i had a slot for a 7-08. 6 month wait for a sako 85 in 7-08 (£1425). I was told by the smith i chose it would take 3 months to get a barrel in and fit it to aa action etc... it was nearly 6 months before i gave up and took a 308.

Just order your 7-08 and wait. If one comes up in the mean time most dealers will be fine with u cancelling.

...Or just get a .308 and save yourself the ball ache

Why not try for a 595 action re barrel new stock semi custom . What would it cost

Action 595 with a stock and worn out barrel £300 to £350 or fully working rifle £550
New barrel £750, £850
Stock if needed £450, £600

Go for the lowest quote on here £1,500 . With stock RIFLE SMITHS SHOOT ME DOWN IN FLAMES LOL

Whats a new tikka t3 £1,350 ,sako A7 £1,450 with standed barrels ?

I think I'm going to buy a sako and have it rebarreled , what does that involve? If my smith buys a barrel will it fit directly on my donor rifle?

I think I'm going to buy a sako and have it rebarreled , what does that involve? If my smith buys a barrel will it fit directly on my donor rifle?

More than likely if the bolt and action size is the same - so pick a 243 or 308 donor rifle of which there are plenty 2nd hand.

​If it needs a further 'new' look, Cerakote the the barrel and action.

Back