My first Roe Buck

My first mornings stalk in the Scottish borders was something else and certainly not expected within the first hour out! Less than half a mile from our B&B we took a slow upward walk to the spinny to pick up a cam that had previously been set on a visit when Gary was last up. Dropping down to the hill to view what the other side had to offer, we saw nothing, yet through my eyes it looked absolutely perfect, about to turn round and head back Gary suggested just having a look a little further up past the big tree to our right, bingo, a doe and where there is a doe there may be a buck, so we pulled back slightly from the tree and used the lie of the land to help navigate to another angle without being seen. Tree still in sight and a little closer we crawled to the top of the bank and peered over in anticipation of seeing her mate, not quite sure and unable to see properly due to the spray of the tree we had to sit and wait until he/she decided to move into view, 10 or so minutes past and finally, there he was. Unfortunate for me there wasnt a clear shot, so more watching and waiting, he was a randy little blighter though, served her 3 times he did, then he disappeared out of site. Waiting to see if he would reappear I got my Blaser R93 Professional 243 Cal at the ready, my adrenaline starting to rush, my blood pumping, stomach churning in anticipation of a shot at him, we waited. He didnt come back into sight, my stomach starting to sink, had he buggered off without us seeing him? Crawling a little further forward just by the fence there he was, lay down approx 110yds in the next field (thank you God!). Still there and in full view I was still not able to take a clear shot because of the stock fence that was in-between us, crawling slightly to my right and down the embankment still out of sight I was still not able to get a shot! Gary judged that if he was able to get the Buck to stand he would rise above the stock fence. When I was comfortable Gary gave one bleep with the Roe call, this made him stand from his bed, perfectly broadside, oh my God, oh my God, so excited, again my heart pounding at the inevitable end result. Breathe...... breathe, easy, easy, ok i'm ready, finger on the trigger I gently squeeze and boom, it's all over.

Having now taken a Red Stag and Hinds, Muntjac and Roe Deer, I am waiting in anticipation for my trip to the Highlands of Scotland later in the year culling Red Hinds, then next May my Bow Hunt in South Africa.

I hope you enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed writing this!

Helenroe buck helen.jpg

Well done you !! Nothing beats the adrenaline rush be it the 1st or 100th. Enjoy the hinds when it comes along.

Well done, a big "Waidmannsheil" from Germany!

For sure the first memories will last for ever....

Atb for your next hunts

​Michael

Back