Thread: Why teckels are good for hunting in tree stands.

Why teckels are good for hunting in tree stands.

They keep an eye on the deer when you get some kip

There is no way I could lift my dog into a high seat!

does the dog sit quite still in the seat? Just thinking about their wee claws scrabbling about on the wood? I suppose a rubber mat or old piece of carpet would take care of that.

​nice photo though and I like the idea of the companionship in the seat for the hours you spend in one.

Nice photo. I used to take my Border Terrier up into high seats. The problem came when we were shooting in woodland, where the landowner (Natural England) didn't want the foxes shot. When a fox walked by Jasper would first look at me as if to say 'what the hell are you doing' then start growling and showing his teeth to the fox. I had to get hold of him to prevent a rapid descent. Little b*****d but good fun.

Brian you should have got your self a Bav they will go up the seat with you. Nice picture of the Dash mate

This was their first time in a tree stand and they were okay. I have two dachshunds. The older one is straight hair and very quiet unless it hears a noise or wind scents something it was growling tree stand as the scent was coming behind us. I went to have a look after a few hours and found a preaching tree. The younger one was making a lot of noise and as its bigger doesn't sit so quietly in the lap. She's only started voicing and there was a bird banging on the bark of a tree about 40 yards away trying to get a grub. After a couple of minutes the dog started barking at it which is not conducive to surprising a deer, but the young one has to learn.

I'm impressed enough that a dog can wind scent from up there, especially if it knows what its doing (the older dog has found plenty of deer), so I think if I can build a little perch for it with kick boards sitting above my head I can lift it up there and it will be my second set of eyes. Especially if something approaches from behind.