Which bullet for Boar?

multiman

Hi Guys, it looks like im going on a boar shoot in october and was wondering what bullet would you recomend for my 308?

Hi Guys, it looks like im going on a boar shoot in october and was wondering what bullet would you recomend for my 308?
Any soft nose from 150 to 180gn bullet. I used Winchester silver tip 150gn for years then over the last few years have changed to Sierra Pro Hunter 180gn round nose.

Driven or stalked? Not that it makes a massive difference but I would go for 180gr if driven and there is not wrong with the pro-hunter suggested above. For stalked in uk I use 150gr swift Scirroco or 165gr Accubonds and get on just fine. For factory ammo you won't go wrong with Sako super hammerhead 180gr.

It might seem hard to believe but I was surprised to hear from more and more fellow hunters in Croatia that PPU ammo was getting more and more popular and getting results over there in both .308 and 30-06

I have used a 308 and 30-06 on 6 trips for Wild Boar and have used the 180gr Nosler Partition in both and found them to be excellent, dropping most animals on the spot. As "Penyard" said the Sako 180gr Hammer head would also be a good bullet. The old rule of slow and heavy is the right way to go for Wild Boar. Have a great trip.

Thanks Guys in answer to your question Penyard, it will be stalked not driven I was wondering if I should go for 150 grain and more speed for penatration etc. Having heard how tough they are etc.
Or would I be better with the heavier 180 grain?

Thanks Multiman

Hi Multiman, I don't think it makes a massive difference between driven or stalked but I would say definitely use 180gr for driven and any tough bullet 150gr+ for stalked. The bullets recommended in the posts above will be just fine. Good luck and have fun!

If you look at most of the traditional cal's used for boar they're big and quite slow you don't want them to break up on the skin you need them to penetrate deep inside the animal i used a 30-06 with 200grn game kings
dropped em dead

more fellow hunters in Croatia that PPU ammo was getting more and more popular and getting results over there in both .308 and 30-06

makes a big difference that they are made over there and are cheaper than chocolate!!

makes a big difference that they are made over there and are cheaper than chocolate!!
The general opinion over here is that they are crap, I have been lucky in that they work in all the rifles I've used them in.
Over there they don't seem to be 'rifle particular' so perhaps there is a plot afoot to keep the best stuff for their home market :D

Or just perhaps they have a more real world expectation of the rifle and ammunition performance in the field ;) I often wonder at "our" preoccupation with tiny cluster groups and as some on these very forums can attest in real life many stalkers are incapable of producing said performance when put to the test.

I use 165 Grain bullets in my 300 Win Mag....and 130 Grain bullets in a 270. Both worked very effectively. Boar are tough but they their skin is not made of armour. If a bullet in 270 can drop them you can be sure that a 308 will drop them, but it is shot placement rather than the weight of the bullet that will determine the lethality.....

use 150 pro hunters home loads or have a look at the cheap 170gr geco's good ammo and will do the job .

Back