Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Length .22 and .17HMR

Barrel Length .22 and .17HMR

On the point of buying a new CZ .22 and puzzled. Is the shorter barrel version as accurate to, say 100m. as the longer length? Its certainly easier to carry around with a mod. on in the field.
    I'm shooting rabbit. Which model should I go for? I'm sure the synthetics are every bit as good as wood stocked, but I like quality and luckily can afford it at my time of life. Tempted by a Commemorative model with fluted barrel.
    Any tips? Should I get a trigger mod from the start?

hi i like the long one and i put a parkerhale on my cz and get a trigger kit.i got shorter barrel one as well .i still like the long one

Short barrel all day long can still shoot rabbits out to two hundred with the meters with the 17hmr
    yours Martyn.
    Last edited by martyn52; 12-08-2013 at 14:17.

I would also go for a short barrel, esp if ur doing any vehicle work out the window. Shorter the better.

If ur shooting rabbits with subs (22) u won't notice the difference the majority should be 40-70m away (althou i wouldn't be shooting rabbits at 200m thou) and far nicer ppointable and better to handle esp with a mod on.

I bought a 2nd hand 17hmr recently and it has a 19" barrel which is not long, but it will be getting chopped very shortly seems massive compared to my other rifles

As for the commeertavie rifle for me a 22 or 17 is just a tool it gets looked after, but it'll still get knocked about on bike/pick up, so i wouldn't waste my money on fancy engraving or that (but thats my opinion, nothing aggainst folk wanting a nice rifle) also possibly a fluted barrel will make no difference other than looks, certainly not in a 22 atleast (possibly more benfical in 17hmr? but i'm sure somone more knowledgable will put me right), as barrel rarely heats up that much to affect accuracy

Thanks to all three of you for your input. Short barrel it is then!!

Not forgetting to make sure it is cut to a length that does not disturb the barrel harmonics to middle of the compensation wave...[ thread on this not too long ago]..after you have added a mod...a very good custom gunsmith will know about this.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Hi blaven, I've got an anschutz 1417 with a 14 inch barrel and I reckon its great. Plenty accurate enough and the trigger is really good. I don't find that the short barrel has compromised in any way. In fact, even hyper velocity .22's have chrono'd as fast and often faster than than manufacturers claim.

Not to dissuade you but my Anschutz was chopped to 14 inches and now it shoots a pattern like my shotgun!
    Last edited by Conor1; 24-10-2013 at 20:24.

could that be due to a bad crown
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor1 View Post
    Not to dissuade you but Anschutz was chopped to 14 inches and now it shoots a pattern like my shotgun!

A barrel over 16" will slow the bullet down on a .22lr , all the powder is fully burnt by around 14".