How much will a Red Stag cape cost to do?

Devon County Shooter

Evening all.

Just going to start by saying welcome back, i've spent a bit of time on UK Varminting over the last year but now my stalking is really taking off so i will be on here a lot more from now on. Question was regarding Red deer capes, currently i have some really nice stags on the land which our looking good for later this year, if and when the day comes and i want mount one, how much will it cost and are there any taxidermists around Devon?

Regards

​Carl.

I don't know any taxidermists in the Exeter area but you might consider giving Dave McKinley at Heads N Tails a call. He is in Wiveliscombe, Somerset.

If you decide to pay a visit, make sure to ask if you can look around his showrooms. He has amassed a huge collection of taxidermy from all over the world which is worth a look if you're there.

There`s Claire down near Chesil beach. Can`t remember her details but someone here will have them.
She`s very good at her job.

Speak to Bill Bartlett on here,no where near Devon but quality is more important than locality......he is your man.....just courier it to him....

Claire is your man, sorry woman, her work is awesome, I have had a roe buck done by her, top of her game.

But I didn't think you were into the deer stalking?
I seem to remember you meeting the farmer on my permission and stating you only shoot foxes?

Cheers
Richard

Claire is your man, sorry woman, her work is awesome, I have had a roe buck done by her, top of her game.

I seem to remember you meeting the farmer on my permission and stating you only shoot foxes?

Cheers
Richard

#awkward

Cheers
Richard

Right Richard

Lets just clarify this post by saying i legally have DEER permission on my OPEN certificate! When i went to visit your ground i was unaware at the time that you had the rights there! Your above statement seems to be lets call it "a dig" at what legal right i have to be out shooting deer. What i have on my license is of no concern of yours what so ever if you are that concerned i suggest you enquiry with Devon and Cornwall Constab.

I may not of been in the game as long as you but believe me i am more that capable of deer stalking and have been very lucky over the last year with a suburb permission with many Reds on.

I'm sorry if this post come across as a aggressive but if you read your last paragraph back you may understand why i was a little annoyed?

Regards

Carl.

Right Richard

Lets just clarify this post by saying i legally have DEER permission on my OPEN certificate! When i went to visit your ground i was unaware at the time that you had the rights there! Your above statement seems to be lets call it "a dig" at what legal right i have to be out shooting deer. What i have on my license is of no concern of yours what so ever if you are that concerned i suggest you enquiry with Devon and Cornwall Constab.

I may not of been in the game as long as you but believe me i am more that capable of deer stalking and have been very lucky over the last year with a suburb permission with many Reds on.

I'm sorry if this post come across as a aggressive but if you read your last paragraph back you may understand why i was a little annoyed?

Regards

Carl.
You are overly sensitive matey, it wasn't actually a dig but a rhetorical question, how on earth you came to the conclusion that I questioned your right to shoot deer I have no idea.
I was just stating a fact in relation to the conversation you had last year.

You are overly sensitive matey, it wasn't actually a dig but a rhetorical question, how on earth you came to the conclusion that I questioned your right to shoot deer I have no idea.
I was just stating a fact in relation to the conversation you had last year.

That conversation wasn't even with you, so you are stating 3rd hand information! Look i'm not here to have get into handbags with other site users. Lets just put this one to bed now. May see you in the field around Devon some time.

Regards

​Carl.

Colin Dunton will be getting my big red next year.
I've seen several of his red stags and they all look spot on.
One thing I have noticed with several taxidermists is that they dont adjust the neck diameter to be the same as the beast you shot. I think it makes them look more like elk than reds.

Colin Dunton will be getting my big red next year.
I've seen several of his red stags and they all look spot on.
One thing I have noticed with several taxidermists is that they dont adjust the neck diameter to be the same as the beast you shot. I think it makes them look more like elk than reds.
That's where you have to do your homework on which one to use. A good taxidermist takes or asks for actual measurements from specific places from the animal to be mounted.

Three measurements needed for each shoulder mount are:

Nose to corner of eye.
Nose to back of head.
Circumference around the neck at the top of the neck slightly down from the ears where the axis and atlas are.

Having sold on a lot of my taxidermy as the quality was bugging me I would really recommend that you go and see examples of this guys work before you commit.
For something thats going to sit on your wall for years upon years it really pays to do your homework.
I live four hours away from the taxidermist i now use, but its worth it as I know how good each piece will look.

Back