Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what to do with Rabbits

what to do with Rabbits

hi all,
    I shoot a few rabbits myself, but have never eaten them.
    any easy tasty recipes

Personally I soak in salted water overnight (reduces the bitter/blood taste) then simmer in water with onions and seasoning for at least two hours. Let it cool then pick all the tender meat off the bones and use in pies, sandwiches, stir frys, omlets etc. freeze what you can't eat in a couple of days and just use like you would left over chicken.

Hang them (paunched) for at least 24 hours and then marinade in a mixture of pineapple, papaya and mango overnight. I know it sounds odd but its an old chef's trick for tenderising. Can then add whatever you like and the fruit flavour is no longer apparent.

The young ones will casserole really well. Parsnips and cumin add a lovely flavour. Also agree with half cooking and using meat in pies/ suet puds etc. as for the old ones either bunny burgers or leave them in the hedge for Charlie! However you cook the old ones you will be chewing them for a week IMHO
    although roasting them between two bits of hardboard for two hours and then eating the hardboard I'm am told works!

Curry, the wife has been thinking she is eating chicken for years :-)

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

treat it like chicken as said,

I like to BBQ them, and not let on what people are eating until afterwards,
    they all want more.

Have a look here.
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

The old ones are sometime crappy.

I tend to throw the whole carcass into a curry. The loin is just like chicken breast. I don't advocate hanging now days. We are not brought up with the strong flavours of yesteryear.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

We sometimes mince and mix with a good sausage (better grade from the local shop) and make what the kids termed "Rat-Rat Burgers" and you could persuade yourself they are beef...although the kids pretty soon detected the difference and Rat-Rat is off.