Why?

Tom D

So often on here classified ads pop up advertising custom rifles with a round count barely high enough to develop a few loads. Are there serial rifle builders out there who get their kicks from the anticipation and as soon as the deed is done loose interest and start out on the next project?

We're in hellish tough times so maybe a case of committing to a project when things were fine and taking delivery when you'd rather it were subject to a Callum Ferguson-like turnaround of years and not months?

Then there's always the possibility of realising you just can't be doing with the hassle of a match chamber or some exotic Ackley-necked go-faster pimped 243 variant!!

K

Last edited:
So often on here classified ads pop up advertising custom rifles with a round count barely high enough to develop a few loads. Are there serial rifle builders out there who get their kicks from the anticipation and as soon as the deed is done loose interest and start out on the next project?

Tom.
​Some folk like projects. Some folk are never happy. Some folk have very deep pockets and just like changing things around. I must admit to buying and selling a few rifles myself as funds have permitted. I certainly didn't know what I was doing in the early days, but hopefully having made some expensive mistakes, I have a better idea now. Not to say that I plan to stop buying and selling any time soon.
Regards
JCS

I think different people get different things out of shooting and some people enjoy the process of specing and purchasing a new rifle, working up a load and so on. Seems reasonable to me, though it isn't something I'd enjoy myself.

The other side to it is that every secondhand rifle I've ever seen for sale had only fired 20 rounds. My rifle is 5 - 6 years old, I don't think I shoot much and it has at least 2000 rounds through it, I've reached my own conclusions based on that.

Well said, that man, could not agree more about the second hand rifle part. I had a guy turn up with a good as new second hand sako 85 outfit, ie scope, rifle, sling, bipod, bag the lot. It is a good package and shoots well however came from a keeper that was sacked, and a dealer was selling it as the usual, like new,done next to nothing hardly had 20 rounds through it. Glancing over the rifle it was a very hard 20 rounds, odd scuff marks and wear where rifle had been carried, but the best of it is when I looked down the barrel it was filthy, you would think the dealer would have taken the time to put a patch or 2 through the barrel. Just like back street second hand car salesmen apart from this is no bulletomiter to wind back on a rifle, which is maybe just as well as I might get a fright at mine.
I think different people get different things out of shooting and some people enjoy the process of specing and purchasing a new rifle, working up a load and so on. Seems reasonable to me, though it isn't something I'd enjoy myself.

The other side to it is that every secondhand rifle I've ever seen for sale had only fired 20 rounds. My rifle is 5 - 6 years old, I don't think I shoot much and it has at least 2000 rounds through it, I've reached my own conclusions based on that.

Back