Cz 455

I recently bought a CZ 455 after years of saving up and shopping around for a 22lr, and thought I'd share my views.

Mine is the 16inch varmint barrel in 22lr. Generally, i love the thing. It's deadly accurate with Winchester super x subs, whisper quiet with a simple SAK mod, the thumb hole stock is comfortable in the hand and it's seriously good looking to boot. It's counted for many a dead bunny already.

However, I do have two beefs; the trigger is crap (loads of creep) and, the big one, the stock is soft as s**t. It marks up so easily it's laughable. Resting the rifle on sticks has left multiple indentations. It shouldn't bother me as it's a field rifle, but after saving so hard for so long, it does! If I was buying again I'd take a harder look at the 452 silhouette.

What do other owners think?

CZ452 American, accurate and quiet with he right mod, and cheap to shoot.
The walnut stock is certainly not soft, 5 years ago when I bought it I stripped the varnish and gave it
an oil finish, bedded the action on pillars and fitted a timney trigger. Since then it has been faultless.
It gets a fairly hard life but has remained a good looking gun, the stock has a few marks, but all would
polish out ok, even after being dumped off the back of the quad at 30mph, on grass.
That one did finish the scope and moderator off though. Lol

As for the 455, not for me, I find the thumbhole stock uncomfortable to use is some positions, and heavy.
The rifle is built down to a price even more so than the 452, and I really can't see how how the switch barrel feature
is any use when separate slots are needed for each barrel, along with the need to re-zero after each swap.
The single locking lug is definitely a step back from the 2 lugs the 452 has.

Neil. :)

Last edited:
and I really can't see how how the switch barrel feature
is any use when separate slots are needed for each barrel

As far as I know, spare barrels aren't going to be available in the UK, so the feature is of even less use! That wasn't really a reason for buying it though. I fancied a varmint barrel which left me with two choices (at my budget), either the 452 american varmint or the 455. I chose the 455 as I liked the look of it, nothing more complex than that. The soft stock does let it down though!

Steve I ve got the same in 17 hmr. Worth getting a trigger kit for it from South Yorkshire shooting. Makes the trigger great and there's 3 different springs for you to get the pull exactly as you want it.

Ben

Steve I ve got the same in 17 hmr. Worth getting a trigger kit for it from South Yorkshire shooting. Makes the trigger great and there's 3 different springs for you to get the pull exactly as you want it.

Ben

Someone had mentioned those to me - rimfire magic isn't it? Are they easy to fit, bearing in mind I know nothing about taking rifles to bits!

Someone had mentioned those to me - rimfire magic isn't it? Are they easy to fit, bearing in mind I know nothing about taking rifles to bits!

Not too bad mate. Took about 15 mins you ll need a punch and a few bits if I remember they send full instructions. I used the middle weight spring and it s fine on mine.

B

Or go one better and stick a proper Timney Trigger in there - I got mine from Sportsman Gun Centre and it is superb - cost me about £70 three or four years ago.

Is it really worth the extra?

Yup in my view. I had a trigger kit fitted but the Timney is so much better - chalk and cheese to be honest - no creep, no backlash, just a really crisp break. Does require a bit of wood being removed, but effort and expense more than justified.

Its a doddle mate - no need to splash out on anything fancy, the kit transforms the trigger. As for the varmint / bull barrel why do it to yourself, lugging and extra pound or two or iron around unnecessarily.

Its a doddle mate - no need to splash out on anything fancy, the kit transforms the trigger. As for the varmint / bull barrel why do it to yourself, lugging and extra pound or two or iron around unnecessarily.

All very true, but the Timney will transform the kitted trigger by about the same difference again.

Neil. :)

Back