AOLQ - Its official

BASC Firearms Dept

Official Member
See this thread for links to guidance - http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co....me-Office-Guidance-2012-issued-by-Home-Office

Updated New guidance has been published by the Home Office and Chapter 13 (Good reason) makes the AOLQ conditon official. Police forces should not longer argue against ACPO advice letters nor can they say guidance doesn't allow.

13.9 says "Once initial "good reason" has been established for the possession of a firearm, there is no requirement for "good reason" to be demonstrated for additional quarry species or amendments providing the firearms are not underpowered for the species (see also paragraph 13.17). A cartridge should be capable of achieving a humane kill, and it is the responsibility of the shooter to ensure that any excess energy will be absorbed by the backstop. The "any other lawful quarry" condition should be applied. If an applicant is suitable to hold a firearm certificate and is deemed safe to do so, there is no requirement to restrict the quarry they shoot by the use of conditions."

Additonally notes to the chapter 13 calibre chart nows say:

"Note that the absence of a calibre in the table below should not preculude it being considered by the police. The purpose of this table is as a guide to establish intital "good reason".

Paragraphs 13.9 and 13.16-13.18 should be read in conjunction with this table."

Last edited:
They wil have received a communication from ACPO about it and we will re-enforce it as and when members complain. BASC members are encouraged to report any intransigence to us so we can take the matter up with PCC's and licensing staff.

So basically there is no need to get deer conditions or qualifications they have to give new applicants an AOLQ condition?

​I might be sceptical whether it will happen

So basically there is no need to get deer conditions or qualifications they have to give new applicants an AOLQ condition?

​I might be sceptical whether it will happen

Except that it is any other lawful quarry, not just any lawful quarry; so anyone who wants to shoot deer will presumably have to have a deer condition plus the necessary expanding ammunition condition first and then they can get AOLQ added on if needed.

Last edited:
Except that it is any other lawful quarry, not just any lawful quarry; so anyone who wants to shoot deer will presumably have to have a deer condition plus the necessary expanding ammunition condition first and then they can get AOLQ added on if needed.

Unless they have a .243 for fox?

That's what I was thinking - "Fox and AOLQ" would be fine on my ticket.
Or "Deer and AOLQ".
Or "Feral Goat and AOLQ" etc etc.
It should all amount to the same thing. Presumably the one named species is what we need in the first instance, to justify our "good reason"?

(Incidentally, my ticket for .243 currently lists fox, deer and feral goat, so "AOLQ" wouldn't add anything I don't think, given that .270 is minimum calibre for boar).

so , am i right in thinking ,because i have an open cert , could i now use a 25 06 for foxing ,( not shoot a fox whilst deer stalking )but say lamping them ?

That's what I was thinking - "Fox and AOLQ" would be fine on my ticket.
Or "Deer and AOLQ".
Or "Feral Goat and AOLQ" etc etc.
It should all amount to the same thing. Presumably the one named species is what we need in the first instance, to justify our "good reason"?

(Incidentally, my ticket for .243 currently lists fox, deer and feral goat, so "AOLQ" wouldn't add anything I don't think, given that .270 is minimum calibre for boar).

As my FEO has reliably informed me .270 is not the minimum calibre for Boar,if you have AOLQ then it is up to you what you shot an animal with,and what they are doing is putting the onus on the holder to be realistic.He actually said...."would you shoot a Boar with your .22lr"? my answer was obviously "No" and he said..."There you are then you have used you common sense,and that is what we want"! Basically they want us to do the job that we used to moan about when they tried to do it......result.

Let's hope now that people use their heads then & show respect for boar by using suitable calibres or he antis will have a field day if there are injured boar running around because people try shooting them with .22 hornets or .243 :stir:
As my FEO has reliably informed me .270 is not the minimum calibre for Boar,if you have AOLQ then it is up to you what you shot an animal with,and what they are doing is putting the onus on the holder to be realistic.He actually said...."would you shoot a Boar with your .22lr"? my answer was obviously "No" and he said..."There you are then you have used you common sense,and that is what we want"! Basically they want us to do the job that we used to moan about when they tried to do it......result.

It's still all iff's and but's though.

Who is to say that a 25.06 is humane for boar and therefore can be shot with that calibre under AOLQ when the guidelines state...........

Wild/feral animals
13.27 Authority may be requested to shoot animals which fall outside the scope of usual types of
game or vermin, for example feral goat or wild boar. The type of rifle authorised should be
appropriate to the quarry species, The Deer Initiative recommends a rifle of not less than
.270 for wild boar. For feral goats, Defra advise the use of a minimum calibre of .243 with a
bullet weight of 100 grains to be humane. However, individual bullet weights should not be
stipulated on certificates. Expanding ammunition should be authorised for this purpose.

I see you point. I had always assumed that the intention to add AOLQ to an existing deer condition as a catch-all for vermin, fox, boar, goat, etc., not the other way around. However, given that there isn't currently any legal basis for having a DSC1 in order to qualify for a deer condition (something that I would support) then logic suggests that there should be no restriction.

Perhaps BASC can clarify?

Let's hope now that people use their heads then & show respect for boar by using suitable calibres or he antis will have a field day if there are injured boar running around because people try shooting them with .22 hornets or .243 :stir:

And let's all wish that the shooting community, those within and without, behave accordingly, & not start blatting small stuff, in the dark,with more than they really needed to roll it over.:doh:

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Scots_stalker
Does this apply in Scotland too ?

​+1 for that question

I suggest that it is applicable in Scotland especially as Police Scotland already allow AOLQ and I have several friends with his condition on their FAC. In addition and to the best of my knowledge the Home Office Guidance is applicable UK wide. Happy to be corrected if anyone has more accurate information or I are mistaken.

quote_icon.png

I suggest that it is applicable in Scotland especially as Police Scotland already allow AOLQ and I have several friends with his condition on their FAC. In addition and to the best of my knowledge the Home Office Guidance is applicable UK wide. Happy to be corrected if anyone has more accurate information or I are mistaken.

Last November I asked my FEO to have AOLQ added to my cert and was told "we don't do that" and when I asked why not, "you are not here to tell me how to do my job" was the reply, exact words by the way. This was from the same FEO that told my mate it was illegal to shoot foxes with a .308 ! Looks like Police Scotland may have improved things for some of us. Cheers .

quote_icon.png

Cheers.
I'm thinking about putting in for a variation at some point in the very near future so I'll ask to get it added then

Back