Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42 Binoculars

Deutsch - Drahthaar

Anyone got a pair of the new Leica Geovid HD-B 10x42 binoculars? I would like your opinion before I commit. Also anyone know if Zeiss are going to make the new HT bino's into rangefinders anytime soon.

Your opinion would be appreciated.

Thanks

DS

DS

I have a pair of the Leica Geovid HD-B 8x42. I have to say that as of yet the jury is out. I have not yet used them extensively, so cannot make a full comment.
I purchased them to replace a pair of Zeiss RF bins, primarily because Zeiss UK customer service is an utter joke.
My choice was between the Leicas or a pair of Swarovski EL Range. I went with the Leicas because they range find down to 10m whereas the Swarovski's only range to 30m, also because the best bins I have ever had were a pair of Leica Ultravids
A mate has a pair of 10 x EL Range and the other evening we were comparing them side by side. The 10x Els were pulling in more light that the 8x Geovid HD-Bs!
In mid Sept will have be in the fortunate situation to blag a pair of EL Range for a couple of days and will be able to try them alongside the Zeiss RF and Geovid HD-Bs. Will post my findings.

Regards

​Ed

I went to Swillingtons last week as they were the cheapest around. Tried the Geovid HD-B in 8's and 10's then tried against the Swarovski RF 8's. IMO the Swaro were noticeably brighter/sharper. Walked away without buying any and still unsure what to do. Surely Zeiss with have to play catch up soon and will adapt the new HT's. Will wait and see what happens me thinks.

I went to Swillingtons last week as they were the cheapest around. Tried the Geovid HD-B in 8's and 10's then tried against the Swarovski RF 8's. IMO the Swaro were noticeably brighter/sharper. Walked away without buying any and still unsure what to do. Surely Zeiss with have to play catch up soon and will adapt the new HT's. Will wait and see what happens me thinks.
Hi Deerstalker,
At the recent shooting show I asked the Zeiss rep when they would be doing the rangefinder in the HT binos, his reply was that it would not be months as far as he was aware there was no plan to integrate them, he finished by saying maybe years

Just been through all this last month - 8x42 elr swaros, 8x42 hd geovids, and zeiss 8x45's. Had them all out side by side, didnt like the zeiss as the just seemed heavy and clumpy compared to the other to nut still didnt rule them out. had a look at the rangefinder on all and they all gave me the same reading reapetedly over and over so nothing to decide on there. looking through them i thought the swaros just edged it slightly over the zeiss and leicas so i went with the 8x42 swarovskis. But to be honest there wasnt much in it at all and you wont be dissapointed by any so just pick the ones you like the look of and which feels the best ergonomically in your hands.

Just been through all this last month - 8x42 elr swaros, 8x42 hd geovids, and zeiss 8x45's. Had them all out side by side, didnt like the zeiss as the just seemed heavy and clumpy compared to the other to nut still didnt rule them out. had a look at the rangefinder on all and they all gave me the same reading reapetedly over and over so nothing to decide on there. looking through them i thought the swaros just edged it slightly over the zeiss and leicas so i went with the 8x42 swarovskis. But to be honest there wasnt much in it at all and you wont be dissapointed by any so just pick the ones you like the look of and which feels the best ergonomically in your hands.

Must agree the Swaro's feel the best in my hands and around the eye fit. I was very surprised because the HD Geovids look like they have been well thought out ergonomically and the Swaro's look a bit like an afterthought. I looked at the current Zeiss years ago and yes I also though they were too big.

I think at nearly 3k they are taking the pi$$, however I did look through some 10x42 and did like them.

Last edited:
I've just gone with what I'm hearing from people in the know, I mean you don't get professional shooters chopping in their EL's for Leicas because they want less bright or clear optics.

I have a pair of 10x42 hd's and think they are very good. I looked through the new leicas at the stalking show earlier this year and thet were very good and have adopted a more of a Swarv shape. However there comes a point to when do you need any more. From what I can recall they have an option to fit a micro sd card to input your rifles ballistic curve. Swillingtons in truth didn't seem to know that much about them which was a shame.

If you do a search on here there is a link to a very good article which reviews them its done by a US guy and it is very informative.

Hope this helps

D

Ive had my Leica HD-B binos for a couple of months now and love them I haven't set up the ballistic programme as I use my own dope chart but they are very clear ive had three pairs of geovids so far and these are the best so far the readout from them is instant they worked well in the fog in Scotland last week as well, we sell them in our shop at £2395 we stock the Swarovski as well but I cant use these as I have a very poor left eye and you have to have two good eyes to use Swarovski binos as they have readouts in both lenses.
several of our customers have taken both sets outside our shop to view both sets I must say that the overall winner is Leica.

Back