Through the shoulders?

Fursty Ferret

What are members thoughts on shot placement to reduce the distance a beast might run after a shot.
If you are worried the beast will cross onto another boundry that you dont have access to etc.
I know a good heart shot can drop em on the spot, but equally they may well run a bit.
If you are not confident on a clean head or neck shot is through the shoulders the best bet?

Buh, if that ol' beast is a-sideways on, just yew walk your scope up the back of his front leg and about halfway up the back of the shoulder blade and let 'er go!

Actually old bean if we think about the dear little muntjac I'd rather lose a shoulder blade any day than spoil the tenderloin.

Now, here's the thing, I don't know how many muntjac, roe and fallow deer I've shot with 243 and 100gn bullets in the last 17 years but, touch wood, I've not yet had the worry of a runner.

What are members thoughts on shot placement to reduce the distance a beast might run after a shot.
If you are worried the beast will cross onto another boundry that you dont have access to etc.
I know a good heart shot can drop em on the spot, but equally they may well run a bit.
If you are not confident on a clean head or neck shot is through the shoulders the best bet?
its a shot I've used quite a lot in the past with boundary issues, I do not see a problem with it.

if you have a good agreement (which is always a good thing) with you neighbours then it shouldn't matter, as the retrieve doesn't become a problem. If on the other hand its a problem then reluctantly the shoulders must have it.

Really? A man who's not had a runner hasn't shot many deer :rolleyes:

Not with a .243 they ain't
chest shooting fallow with a .243 produces runners

​through the shoulder works well even if you do need to finish off with a knife from time to time

if you have a good agreement (which is always a good thing) with you neighbours then it shouldn't matter, as the retrieve doesn't become a problem. If on the other hand its a problem then reluctantly the shoulders must have it.

You forgot to mention the other option bud.......you never HAVE to take a shot! And as you may of worked out I am definitely not a fan of 'Pinning'

Martin

You forgot to mention the other option bud.......you never HAVE to take a shot! And as you may of worked out I am definitely not a fan of 'Pinning'

Martin
Who mentioned having to take the shot BUD !! and what are you meaning by pinning ??

I shot through the shoulder in the evening as I don't have a dog and really don't want to be searching when it's dark.

I do have acess to a few good dogs before anyone says but just prefer this method.

Who came up with the term ‘Pinning' deer and made it constitute an inhumane shot?

Surely you would take any shot that represented itself if you needed to (within reason!), if everyone waited for the perfect broadside shot not many deer would be shot! I bet not many deer get shot in the engine room without some sort of damage to one shoulder.

Its not the prettiest of shots, is not always a killing shot but does stop them from going anywhere, it is the recommended shot when night shooting to prevent loss.

Martin

How come? It's odd if I don't break at least one shoulder, and I always aim to bust both if the animal is broadside. (When chest shooting anyway)

Sounds like a desperation shot, definately a shot I wouldnt take, waste both shoulders, I dont want to offend you or any others but in my opinion its a **** poor shot, not a carcase you could present to a game dealer, if it was dangerous game probaly the best shot, atb swaro

Completely agree, shot loads of Fallow with the 7mm never had a problem, .243 with 105gr Geco - I had half a dozen runners when shot through the gearbox. One I found 120m away (luckily all have been within this) and all have been found in the line of departure! So I do shoot through the shoulders slightly if its Fallow on the cull plan
!

​t

Sounds like a desperation shot, definately a shot I wouldnt take, waste both shoulders, I dont want to offend you or any others but in my opinion its a **** poor shot, not a carcase you could present to a game dealer, if it was dangerous game probaly the best shot, atb swaro

You might re-assess your opinion of this type of shot if you were culling Sika in forestry. Thick plantations that you can only get through on your hands and knees are the cover of choice for Sika runners and 100+ yards is all too commonplace, the shoulder shot is a valuable tool in the stalkers armoury and should be used accordingly. Night shooting, high number culling in difficult terrain, do any of these and you soon realise it's worth.

John

Back