How much of a traditionalist are you?

Do you shoot on a Sunday?

• Total voters

User00023

Call me old fashioned but I just can't bring myself to shoot live quarry on a Sunday. Do any of you share my reticence or must we all now bow to the inevitable and accept that some of the more traditional sporting values are as outmoded as church attendance and Sunday school?

I should add that I speak as one who was brought up in Wales in the days when the pubs were shut on the Sabbath.

(Addendum - I am, of course, referring to shooting deer. Game shooting on a Sunday in Wales and England has been prohibited by law since the nineteenth century.)

I have voted yes BUT it depends where.
I won`t use a shotgun on Sundays unless i`m a long way from a residential area. My dad frowns on it but as i tell him, vermin don`t stop destroying crops because it`s a sunday.
I`ll shoot deer on a sunday though i do still respect where i am.
I remember a recent ish post about TJ being told, no shooting on sundays?
Right TJ?
basil.

Depends on what the landowner says I guess, as well as that you have to bear in mind that a lot of people work 5/6 days a week and as a result sunday may well be the only time you can get out and go stalking/shooting. Also gotta bear in mind (certainly where i live/work) that you have a lot of footpaths that are busier on a weekend which can make life a bit trickier. Get them wandering through the farmyard :rolleyes:

basil said:
.....I remember a recent ish post about TJ being told, no shooting on sundays?
Right TJ?
basil.

Yip, not allowed on my bit, I have shot on Sundays, but that was in England where people are more relaxed about the whole thing, It is certinally church driven up my way, although, I'm not a church go-er myself.

I don't see the problem nowadays, 25+ years ago, nothing was open accept the church door on Sundays, now, nothing seems to close even for Sundays.

Sign if the times I suppose.

TJ

Voted yes. The FC in my area have just recently changed there attitude (All down to the head man in our area I'm being told) we are at last allowed Sunday shooting. I don't have to take up too many extra holidays now.
Paul.

Every day in the season is a hunting day. We never had the sunday ban here.
Allways stalked on a Sunday when i lived in Sussex.
The Sunday ban was about church control , nothing to do with animal wellfare.

I know it's a bit hypocritical, but I'm happy to shoot deer on a Sunday but wouldn't think of game shooting - like Iwrch, it's probably a throwback to my upbringing in Wales.

Sunday

I am an aethiest thank god, so if it not raining and it is a day off then anything goes including stalking. I work for a living and stalk in my freetime. MY FREETIME.

I am pig sick of being told what to do and when to do it by my so called masters.

FREEEEEEEEDOM :D

You may have your religion, I have mine. Being out in the country is my way of going to church.

Had a gun in a syndicate near Fort William a few years back on F/C ground & the F/C put in the lease that no sunday shooting was permited.
A bit much when they are out at night lamping deer.
I have no problem myself going out on Sundays but the wife ant to keen.
But lets not get into that.

Cheers
John

The only reason I don,t shoot on a Sunday is because i,m not allowed , by order of the petticoat goverment :(

I think these days sunday is the only time some people get to go shooting as they may work 6 days a week and every one is intitled to have a bit of relaxasion some people play golf ,football ,rugby . I argee thats its down to land owers to shoot on sunday , I work for myself and i find all days just the same if you have to work you work . Everyone is diffrent and have diffrent beliefs so i think its up to the youself if you enjoy it do it, :D
lyon

8x57
You may have your religion, I have mine. Being out in the country is my way of going to church.

Thats great mate.. :D :D

I have no problems shooting any day that i am able..

Trouble is there arent enough days :D :D

Terry

pheasant sniper 1 said:
8x57

Thats great mate.. :D :D

I have no problems shooting any day that i am able..

Trouble is there arent enough days :D :D

Terry

Snap

After spending the majority of my life as a retail manager I really do think its an absolute load of ****** that legaly we cannot shoot game on a Sunday. Over the years I have manipulated and twisted the the time off to suit myself as thr majority of my friends always had weekends off. People that work in retail were shafted years ago over working hours to suit everyone else and the greed of the employer, it is time the law was changed to allow shooting of game on a Sunday. Lets face it, you all pop down to Tesco whenever you like!! and I certainly put my time in to allowing everyone that particular freedom.
Up the revolution. Allow Shooting or ban Sunday trading. I dont give a bugger these days, but food for all to ponder.

John.

I have no problem shooting any day that suits me.

Our rough syndicate now meets on a Sunday as most of them (not me) beat on Saturdays. :rolleyes:

Back