Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: survival trip

survival trip

hi guys i was asked today about a trip to scotland but wiv a difference it involved stalking but wiv an ex marine u meet and x and drive to y where u spend the wk/wk end and survive off the land almost ray mears style so stalking for food only plus fishing ect i am tempted to give it ago learning bush craft ect but wanted to no if any of u have done any thin like this ?

It may well be a stalking trip with a difference, but don't fool yourself into thinking like it will be like a real survival course.

I've had the 'unfortunate' pleasure of being put on 2 real survival courses and can honestly state that it's bloody hard, sometimes awful experience. First there's the weight loss - a stone or more is quite common, then there's the sleeplessnes - if you get more than 2hrs or so at a time, you're doing well. Don't forget the constant hunger, stomach pains and cramps which results in continual diorrea. Constantly cold and regularly wet ...did i forget the dirt, lack of energy and all over blisters?

I've no doubt he'll take you away to some remote hill, show you to build a few bashas and cook some venison if you shoot it. He may even take your tent away from you, but you're unlikely to be forced to sleep in sodden pits, reduced to eating birds eggs and worms and endure a week of hell.

I'll be a very happy boy if i never attend another survival course and i know for a fact that fat-boy ray mears was challenged to attend a certain well known regiments survival course and politely declined.

SWERVE! 8)

wilderness camping

There is a big difference in a military survival course, (where you are being taught as much as possible in a short amount of time, normally in the perceived presence of an enemy force; escape & evasion) and wilderness camping/bushcraft where you are making yourself comfortable in discomfort and living off the land as a enlightening and pleasurable experience. As much as i respect and honour our troops i would be wary of venturing on such a course with one touted as ex-military.

I've done a couple of bushcraft type courses, including one styled as 'survival' and one 'hunter-gatherer'.

On the 'survival' course you were shown how to make a shelter/basha and how to prepare food in a basic manner - how to get the breasts out of a pigeon without a knife; ponassing a salmon/trout; bannock bread, etc.

While not a 'full-on' military style survival course (there was pleanty of food and although you weren't allowed a tent, you could sleep under a tarp if your shelter turned out to be less well made than you'd hoped...) this really showed food on a basic level - much of the food was tasteless and poorly prepared - the fish was the only good bit!

The course itself was great, but I think most people would have completed the course with a poor impression of most of the foods we ate...

By contrast, the 'hunter-gatherer' course I did was excellent. It was not a 'survival' style, but concentrated on getting the most out of the foods you'd gathered or hunted. I learned loads and gained a new appreciation for foods I hadn't previously considered.

On the final day, we ate the hares that had been lamped by the group the night before. They'd been paunched that night and hung in a tree overnight (the course was Oct or Nov, so good and cold overnight). The group was shown how to skin and butcher the carcasses, and we jointed all but one.
    At the beginning of the session the group had been asked how they would have prepped the meat if they were in a survival situation, and most had said they would spit-roast it, so one was kept back for cooking with this method.

The other parts were: saddles, back legs, front legs. The legs were all wrapped in appropriate coverings (foil, leaves, moss etc) with some garlic, mushrooms and walnuts we'd foraged, and cooked in the embers at the edges of the fire. The saddles were sliced thickly and flash fried with some salt & pepper on a griddle.

These were all fantastic - possibly one of the best meals I've ever had. The spit-roasted hare was dry and tough. This was a great example to everyone that a little more effort, and just a few extras or seasonings, really can make all the difference when it comes to appreciation of food.

So, it really depends on what the weekend you've been offered consists of. If it's pure survival, you're unlikely to get good tasting food, or even much of it, you'll probably be cold and wet most of the time, and expending lots of effort for very little nutrient gain. If it's styled more to show you how to make the most of what you can hunt, it's likely to be a bit more comfortable.

If you don't mind being cold, wet and hungry a lot, you'll enjoy the majority of the 'bushcraft' type survival courses. If not, pick and choose carefully...

as far as i no its the second of the 2 as i was told u do get to learn about the butchery filter water ect
    also could any of u give me a rough idea of what these wk ends cost u?l

For a standard forager type course (which will include small wild game prep - usually fish, pigeon, rabbit or whatever is in season, but NOT deer), you'd be looking at 150-200 quid for a weekend.

Have a look here: for one company that runs this type of thing - I note that they do a one-day deer skinning & butchery course (130 and you get to keep the results of your butchery) which could be interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by scotsgun
    fat-boy ray mears
    Off topic I know but I've just read that 'fat boy' has been diagnosed with Lyme disease. According to the report that is why he is carrying a few extra pounds.

To be fair, I don't think he has ever claimed to be an E&E survival expert and I don't think he overnights in a 5 star hotel - unlike the Chief Scout .......... apparently.

"ponassing a salmon/trout" what the flippin eck is that all about sounds a bit of an upper class way to tickle some old trout

It's a preparation/cooking method...

You gut the fish, then remove the head and backbone (carefully) leaving the two fillets still joined together. You then use one long stick and a few short ones to spread the meat out, so that it looks a bit like a sail on a long mast.

You cook the fish by sticking the long stick in the ground with the fish angled gently over a fire... Needs pictures really - I'll have to find some...

Tastes fabulous - a bit like hot smoking... Yum!