Atec Maxim , advice please.

farmer7

As above, I sold a rifle recently with my trusty T8 which I oiled after shooting. It appeared to be in perfect condition and worked very well.

For the new rifle i bought an Atec Maxim and wondered should I put a squirt of oil every time also? I know its aluminium but does it help with pitting or neutralising the acid??

Also its definetly not as quiet as the T8 but does a bit of carbon and muck building up help? On jacksons advice I wont be stripping it, I'll just use it until its worn out.

Thank you.

Don't bother with the oil lad in fact never open it, just take it off after shooting to let the corrosive gases escape, and as for sound suppression if you want it quieter just buy another baffle from jackson rifles £20 or so this is my favourite mod by far and believe me I have owned a few lol I currently run it with five baffles fired 100s through it never get's any attention and it rock's.

Oh by the way if your not already aware the baffle plates are made of stainless steel no worries about pitting.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! Is it worth buying an extra baffle? Noticeable difference? If I'm putting one on I want to do it now because I've only put 9 rounds through it and will come apart easily. As I said I've no intention of stripping and cleaning it!

I've got the Atec in 30 cal and its on my 223! I put it on the 308 I had at the time and after a few shots it had come loose and was red hot(125 grain noslers) so tried it on 243(65gr vmax) same again checked the internals and they didn't look like New anymore! But put it on my 223 and its ok light doesn't get too hot and doesn't affect the balance(but my barrel is very short!)
would I recommend it? If you only stalk and fire very few rounds yes but if you like to shoot a few rounds off and mess around with different loads then no.
This is my opinion only and the findings I've found with this mod some people's views and experiences maybe better or worse but this is what I found!
hope this helps
​Darren

Ok thanks! Is it worth buying an extra baffle? Noticeable difference? If I'm putting one on I want to do it now because I've only put 9 rounds through it and will come apart easily. As I said I've no intention of stripping and cleaning it!

Yes with 5 baffles it's quieter by how much I'm not sure, but I don't notice the noise, I really like this mod if you need to take it apart ie to add an xtra baffle it can be really difficult I wear a pair of rubber gloves to get the purchase required this mod should serve you well.

I've got the Atec in 30 cal and its on my 223! I put it on the 308 I had at the time and after a few shots it had come loose and was red hot(125 grain noslers) so tried it on 243(65gr vmax) same again checked the internals and they didn't look like New anymore! But put it on my 223 and its ok light doesn't get too hot and doesn't affect the balance(but my barrel is very short!)
would I recommend it? If you only stalk and fire very few rounds yes but if you like to shoot a few rounds off and mess around with different loads then no.
This is my opinion only and the findings I've found with this mod some people's views and experiences maybe better or worse but this is what I found!
hope this helps
​Darren

Have you got the a-tec cmm4 or the maxim ? I have shot with the maxim for a while now 500+ rounds I have got it hot but within reason, I never like my rifles to get too hot firing 20+ rounds in quick succession is not something I would advise moderated rifles or not, my maxim thus far shows no sign's of wear that would concern me, unlike the cmm4 which I used to own it showed considerable gas cutting after only 20 rounds but thats just my experience mines on a 308.

I think I'll maybe leave it with the 4 baffles, I bought it to save weight over the T8 after all. I also dont like to get my rifles too hot. But I noticed yesterday it certainly cooled faster than my T8 and mirage wasnt as noticeable.

I think I'll maybe leave it with the 4 baffles, I bought it to save weight over the T8 after all. I also dont like to get my rifles too hot. But I noticed yesterday it certainly cooled faster than my T8 and mirage wasnt as noticeable.

I think I would concur with that, I bought the extra baffle believing it would be much quieter however I don't think there's enough to justify, and on reflection I too would be happy with just 4, but this I will say I have owned the following mods

A-tec maxim
A-tec cmm4
ASE northstar
Wild cat predator 8
T8

The maxim for me wins hands down,it has a good combination of weight sound suppression and low maintenance,
with the wild act 2nd, the northstar 3rd (this ones heavy), T8 4th, and cmm4 last, though this one's light but not so good sound suppression or longevity.

The model as described on its box is the Maxim HB .30" it had gas cutting after a few rounds certainly less than 20 I normally fire 3 slowly and allow barrel to cool .the baffles don't seem to be s/s .
​Cheers Darren

Last edited:
Have you got the a-tec cmm4 or the maxim ? I have shot with the maxim for a while now 500+ rounds I have got it hot but within reason, I never like my rifles to get too hot firing 20+ rounds in quick succession is not something I would advise moderated rifles or not, my maxim thus far shows no sign's of wear that would concern me, unlike the cmm4 which I used to own it showed considerable gas cutting after only 20 rounds but thats just my experience mines on a 308.
The model as described on its box is the Maxim HB 30" it had gas cutting after a few rounds certainly less than 20 I normally fire 3 slowly and allow barrel to cool .the baffles don't seem to be s/s .
​Cheers Darren[/QUOTE]

Darren the maxim definately has stainless steel baffles or at least it should have they are a seperate plate within the baffle system heres a thread I posted on regarding the same a while back on which I posted some photo's of my maxim.
scroll down to post 8.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/26778-Atec-Maxim

That's what mine looks like inside but with more pitting!:-|
Cheers Darren

Darren to be fair I have not been inside my maxim since???? I put on the xtra baffle I think that was a while ago goodness knows whats going on in there..lol....but I am not to concerned at all, shoot the shheeeezzzzzz out of it and enjoy, such is life kiddo.

Damian.

Cheers Damian I stopped taking it apart a long time ago ,I just squirt it and put it away and make sure it doesn't rattle when I fit it!!!
happy hunting, all the best
​Darren

Best bit, these things have a limited lifetime warranty whereby you send Jackson the bit you've knackered and they replace it at 66% RRP.

By way of info. I have added two extra baffles to my A Max on my .270 Win R93 and its made no difference to the POA and its quieter (which is what its all about I think) so I'm Ok with that !
Baffle, £25 each at Swillington SS.
Cheers,
John.
PS, also have this moddy on my .223 and I like them !

Back