Red deer rut: north Suffolk/south Norfolk

KBar1970

Based on the last couple of years, when do folks think the red rut likely to start in north Suffolk/south Norfolk?

Based on the last couple of years, when do folks think the red rut likely to start in north Suffolk/south Norfolk?

13th october on the button !

has been for the last 5 yrs i dont see any change at the moment hind numbers are gathering nicely .

i can only comment on my own ground through .

13th october on the button !

has been for the last 5 yrs i dont see any change at the moment hind numbers are gathering nicely .

i can only comment on my own ground through .

cant wait! For me it's normally been bubbling up in the last week of September then first and second weeks of October proper......love hearing that first roar, nothing gets the hairs on the back of the neck up quite like it!

cant wait! For me it's normally been bubbling up in the last week of September then first and second weeks of October proper......love hearing that first roar, nothing gets the hairs on the back of the neck up quite like it!

dont get me wrong i love the roe rut but i loath the weather too bloody hot and sticky . in the red rut , you feel the early frosts and the cool damp in the air and your right the roaring is just an awesome experience .

I was sitting in a high seat in Norfolk on 11th October last year exchanging roars with a 20 pointer at a range of 20 yards.

That must have been wonderful. A good memory is that.

It made my day, I was told that there was a 16 pointer and 20 pointer that were both off limits but anything else could be taken. I could hear stags roaring in the wood as soon as I got in the high seat, the 16 pointer came out fairly early, presumably pushed out of the wood by the big boy and then when the light had almost gone I saw a few hinds come into the field followed by the 20 pointer. He was magnificent and exchanging roars with him at such close quarters was a magic moment. I put the cross hairs on him and said "bang" and then spent some time wondering what the difference was between doing that and shooting him - apart fom a hole in my bank balance!

I put the cross hairs on him and said "bang" and then spent some time wondering what the difference was between doing that and shooting him
A mistake I made was fencing a few acres and putting some reds and sika on the ground. Now I spend most of my time just observing them and have no interest in going stalking at all really. It is just a privilege to be able to be able to watch them from close range.

Back