Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Badgers or foxes?

Badgers or foxes?

Can i ask you guys how many badgers do you see whilst out foxing compared to foxes, in my neck of the woods i would say for every fox i see i must see 20 badgers. Also would a lot of badgers drive out foxes from a area??.

Hi mate, I see about the same ratio as you. I don't seem to notice an absence of foxes due to Badgers. They seem to ignore each other. Certainly the foxes I've shot recently were in the same fields as a Badger, although not too close but certainly they were not bothering each other.

It seems to vary. I once saw a mass of animals around a pile of cattle feed - when I looked closer three were foxes, and one was a badger. They were literally rubbing heads together. And yet at other times, foxes will give badgers a wide berth. I recently had a large brock come charging over a hill from some three hundred yards away when I started the 'fox cub distress call' - when it reached the Foxpro it launched itself at it in a full-on 'kill' dive, knocking the unit to the ground as it did so. Clearly, it didn't like foxes...

I see less badgers than foxes but I think that is to do with the ground and not the badger population (which is large). I think the badgers are often out of sught. Then periodically you see loads. Most was 17 on 400 acre wheat stubble

I saw 7 badgers and 2 foxes in same field the other night, if that's of any help!

they seem to tolerate one another fairly well as the terrier lads will tell you its not that uncommon to find both partys down the same earth , they just keep there own space usualy .

**** loads.....We have actually seen a big badger chasing fox cubs out of the same cut field on 2 occasions. Very funny to watch.

I see probably 4 or 5 badgers for every fox.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Kaira View Post
    I see probably 4 or 5 badgers for every fox.
    Yep, similar here

Havent seen a badger for months ( that is alive) some dead on the roads. Saw 5 one evening on a baled hay field in the hot weather, otherwise none, however we have hundreds of acres of maize 10ft high: may be the issue.