.204 Ruger , A good choice ?

all my permission was passed for 22 not for 243 and i like the mix of range shooting ,deer legal,(munty)yet can load smaller to varmint if needs be.if i'm honest i was struggling reading the wind at longer range with the 204 40s so that was why i went heavy to make life easier.i would probably be better with a 204 having spent a bit of time range shooting now.

bob thanks for the link
I especially like the bit where the chap writes if I had the money
I would have one built that shoots the Berger 50 / 55 grain match varmints
with a fast twist barrel :D
guess what I'm picking up in the next few weeks ?
​regards pete

​I can't wait to see it!! Jeffrey

bob thanks for the link
I especially like the bit where the chap writes if I had the money
I would have one built that shoots the Berger 50 / 55 grain match varmints
with a fast twist barrel :D
guess what I'm picking up in the next few weeks ?
​regards pete

nice one pete.

im looking at uping to the 6mm br for a second time.

could it be a mistake ?

bob.

Its good to see that things must be looking up for you. You have had a rough time.

well to be honest i think im trying to find a reason to keep shooting, i need to have both fac/sgc in my job but my interest in shooting has dropped down the things to do list, so i think by returning to a fresh calibre it may just spur me on a bit and keep the interest going,(also allows me to keep the certificates needed in the Job)

And now the wee ones out of hospital and just starting the fight against her lupus, not meaning to sound selfish but it may just let a bit of steam off now and again.

bob.

Eight replies and all in favor , no prizes for guessing what Im getting next.

Yup another +1 one on the 20. If you are not a reloader then yes the 204 however if a reloader then consider the 20 Tac. Mine has a LW tube - boring on targets - does the same each time - makes me smile.

The one thing you will appreciate with the 20 is that you can watch the result of squeezing the trigger - seen foxes go a couple feet up in the air upon impact - don't see that with my 22.250

Bob sorry to hear about your little one, my Ex wife contracted Lupus about 15 years ago - took 4 years for the docs to give her a name for it - can understand why shooting is on the back burner.

Bob sorry to hear about your little one, my Ex wife contracted Lupus about 15 years ago - took 4 years for the docs to give her a name for it - can understand why shooting is on the back burner.

Hi Peter.

its a nasty thing to have,(we had never heard of it until this all went wrong) the wee one has all but lost her kidneys and then the feckin thing had a go at her liver, just after that we nearly lost her when her body shut down after having a seizure due to the onset of sepsis,Josie was then placed into a coma for 5 days to help her fight it,

seen some things in the army but i turned to butter when she had a seizure in my arms, Josie is back on the the mend as best they can do and taking more pills in a day than i take in 6 months.

ps:just changing the 20 tac for a 6mm br.................will be sad to see it go but thats life.

bob.

Last edited:
Hi Peter.

its a nasty thing to have,(we had never heard of it until this all went wrong) the wee one has all but lost her kidneys and then the feckin thing had a go at her liver, just after that we nearly lost her when her body shut down after having a seizure due to the onset of sepsis,Josie was then placed into a coma for 5 days to help her fight it,

seen some things in the army but i turned to butter when she had a seizure in my arms, Josie is back on the the mend as best they can do and taking more pills in a day than i take in 6 months.

ps:just changing the 20 tac for a 6mm br.................will be sad to see it go but thats life.

bob.

sorry to hear about your nipper bob. best wishes mate

sorry to hear about your nipper bob. best wishes mate

Hi Jay

thank you fella,

Josie is working hard to fight it but its a bit of a bugger of a disease, not nice on a mild form but in this form its defo life changing for josie and us as well.

bob.

ops: hope your keeping well bud.

I absolutely love my .204 it has so much potential Im shocked it has never really kicked off.

A standard .204R will do all you can legally ask of it in the UK if you point it in the right direction. I damned sure it would do more given the chance, but calibre restrictions mean you can't find out for certain. Yes, a .243 spitting light bullets fast will out-perform at 600yds, but when did you last take a shot at a fox that far away ?
My longest 2 foxes with the .204 have been at 498yds and 465yds (both daylight shots, lasered for range). They go 'THUMP' and fall over, simple as that. So little recoil that you watch the strike through the scope and see Charlie drop ... then wait to hear the impact. Very satisfying :)

If you want to make happy foxes into dead foxes you'll love a .204 ;)

My set-up is a bog-standard Howa 1500 on the supplied synthetic stock, a Wildcat Moderator and a Hawke Vantage 6-24x44SF that 'lives' set at 10x (where the mil-dots are correct.) Zero at 100yds and you have to give a whole 2 dots of elevation at 500 with 32grain Hornady Superformance.

Back