260 ackley

My take: The 260 operates at a max pressure of 60K. The fact that you increase the powder supply won't increase that limit. You will have a larger case with the same pressure limitations so.... what's the gain? Longer case life? Maybe but more likely by virtue of limiting yourself to neck sizing. More efficient burn? Generally speaking, no. As I have often said, even Ackley wasn't for Improving hi intensity cartridges.

All that aside, changing in a 30 for a 6.5 can't be too bad a thing. I have a unblooded 308 in my rack but I'm picking up the 6.5 this season.~Muir

my mate runs a custom built 260 AI which I reload for,it performs superb with a 123gr bullet.topped with a Z6i and BT its also great for lets just say an extended shot

I looked at an Ackley improvement on a few cartridges but I couldn't really see the gain...I just went to a WSM in both 300 and .270, my mate runs a a .243 wssm and that's a stonking little rifle.

I love the 308 it's a fantastic round but for extended range the 260 smashes it ! it's those slippery bullets it launches ! i have a compressed load in mine because the long bullets seat well in the case with a large charge of N560 so AI might be the way to go if your willing to put up with a long barrel to make use of a large charge of slow powder?

see if you can find someone who runs one and get some real world data from them and see if it improves the parent round enough to bother?

some positive comments there, was thinking the little extra velocity will work better out to 1000yds than standard 260 windage wise,this will be my range rifle as is my 308, I intented using 139s,140s and 142,am still awaiting the return of my 6.5 06, hopefully I will get to shoot it on the 1st of september at bisley,I did it wrong way around really, should of had 308 rebarrelled but I had enough ammo to see me into next year so I had 25 06 done instead, if I was having the 308 rebarrelled into 260 for my hunting rifle I wouldnt bother with the ackley, barrel will be 26 inches at least

some positive comments there, was thinking the little extra velocity will work better out to 1000yds than standard 260 windage wise,this will be my range rifle as is my 308, I intented using 139s,140s and 142,am still awaiting the return of my 6.5 06, hopefully I will get to shoot it on the 1st of september at bisley,I did it wrong way around really, should of had 308 rebarrelled but I had enough ammo to see me into next year so I had 25 06 done instead, if I was having the 308 rebarrelled into 260 for my hunting rifle I wouldnt bother with the ackley, barrel will be 26 inches at least

My bet is that your main velocity increase will come from the 26" tube.~Muir

So, when you say "Ackley" do you mean a 30* shoulder or a 40* shoulder (since PO Ackley had both angles in his cartridges)? Just curious...

I ask only because the 6.5 Creedmoor is essentially and "Ackley improved" .260 (shoulder moved back, angle changed to 30* and the case walls straightened out).

Last edited:
I am open to suggestions, so 6.5 creedmoor is like a 260 ack imp :cool:, are the cases on the shelf or gave you gois to fireform 260 cases, muir should be the one to give me which Is best of the two, I will see what I can find out, atb swaro

I am open to suggestions, so 6.5 creedmoor is like a 260 ack imp :cool:, are the cases on the shelf or gave you gois to fireform 260 cases, muir should be the one to give me which Is best of the two, I will see what I can find out, atb swaro

The Marine shoots the Creedmore. I've only shot against him! (badly) I would do the Creedmore. Factory chambering and no 'issues' from the brass like some 260. All of the 6.5's are about the same. The 260, the 6.5x55 and the 260 are all peas in the pod, ballistically speaking. Which is best will de3pend who you talk to! (If they own it, it's probably the best) (Shooter's are like that!)~Muir

I have a 6.5*47 Lapua and can't recommend it highly enough. Short action makes for a light gun. Runs a higher pressure than the 260 and I use 39 grains of R15 to send a 120 grain bullet at 2950 fps. Very accurate and relatively easy to work up a load for. Quiet and very little recoil. Best I have found, but I haven't tried everything.

Back