just an idea

J222ROE

just a idea i had maybe its been dscussed before

why cant they make a fac, shotgun certificate like drivers licence plastic card for when you are out and about shooting it would be much simpler and easier to carry these in your wallet rather than the a4 sheets of paper we have just now ??!

and on another note does the new forms for grants renewals etc apply in scotland aswell?

I have photo copied my top part of my certificates and shrunk them down to a credit card size. Then cover with sticky backed plastic (Blue Peter anyone!)

yeah but to my knowlage if the boys in blue were to ask you to produce your certss that would nt be good enough .!i have mine photo copied and in my truck at all times but i was told thats still not good enough

yeah but to my knowlage if the boys in blue were to ask you to produce your certss that would nt be good enough .!i have mine photo copied and in my truck at all times but i was told thats still not good enough

Who told you?

Depends on the officer stopping you and the circumstances and attitudes of yourself and the officer as to how pedantic they want to be. I've been stopped without any paperwork on me. A quick PNC, and certificate check and a "thanks very much, have a nice day"
No problems

just a idea i had maybe its been dscussed before

why cant they make a fac, shotgun certificate like drivers licence plastic card for when you are out and about shooting it would be much simpler and easier to carry these in your wallet rather than the a4 sheets of paper we have just now ??!

and on another note does the new forms for grants renewals etc apply in scotland aswell?
Wilts have been looking at the possibilities of doing so

whenever Ive been stopped they haved checked it on there data base and been no problem, as far as im concerned if I they wanted me to carry it when im shooting they should have put it as a condition.
Atb Matt

In the past, carrying your certificates, or facsimilies of them around when carrying firearms was advisable. But these days, if a police officer wants to check, it's a simple task of him speaking to his left shoulder and the details are forthcoming through a funny looking ear defender in his left ear. Can anyone see a reason to lug them around these days except when buying guns or ammo?

The "law" states that if you are asked to produce and you are not carrying the police can confiscate all guns and ammunition until you can prove who you are. And rightly so.

I use plastic wallet from post office and carry copy of permission letter and colour photocopy of FAC when on land. This saved me a load of hassle last week. Best safe than sorry I say!

Given how sophisticated all other forms of record keeping are now, it's actually pathetically antiquated and horribly inefficient that the whole system isn't automated - exactly as someone has already suggested, in the form of chip-and-pin card that links directly to a central database.

It astonishes me that the local Indian takeaway (or pick small local retailer of preference) can have a reward card system, online ordering, personalised accounts etc etc, and the Police are still using bits of paper.

And as for why the whole application process can't be web based is completely beyond me. Again, if even the smallest retailers can sort out web based ordering systems with secure payment, there is NO reason the police can't do it.

The "law" states that if you are asked to produce and you are not carrying the police can confiscate all guns and ammunition until you can prove who you are. And rightly so.

I saw this brought up on another forum. Someone raised the point that, if asked, you are required to produce your documentation, but the act doesn't specify that you should carry it at all times.

As it happens, I have a lockbox in the truck and keep mine in there, or in the office if I am shooting on the farm. As mentioned above, if the police want to see them, they could accompany me back to where the docs are safely kept. I understand that if one's tickets are stolen from a car or lost, they can be difficult to replace.

Back on topic; my FEO said that he had been championing the idea of plastic cards for years, but wasn't holding his breath. :)

regards

​Ian

Last edited:
Now, you are expecting every RFD to cough up the cash for a broadband system that they will have to pay for.
Now, you are expecting a common Police system for Firearms Licensing when one doesn't exist to link all 42 forces normal activities after 20 years of trying.
Now you expect every FAC holder to pay their fair cost to supply and administer all this.

​Stan

Now, you are expecting every RFD to cough up the cash for a broadband system that they will have to pay for.
Now, you are expecting a common Police system for Firearms Licensing when one doesn't exist to link all 42 forces normal activities after 20 years of trying.
Now you expect every FAC holder to pay their fair cost to supply and administer all this.

​Stan
Wel stan the whole thing was mentioned first about it being easier to carry with you at all time when stalking or any type of shooting . Am sure the cost of a renewal or grant for a fac wouldn't go up in ££ for the sake of them adding a plastic card with ur details of what u have on it . Like I say just a thought j222roe

Back