just an idea

Wel stan the whole thing was mentioned first about it being easier to carry with you at all time when stalking or any type of shooting . Am sure the cost of a renewal or grant for a fac wouldn't go up in ££ for the sake of them adding a plastic card with ur details of what u have on it . Like I say just a thought j222roe

J222ROE,

But you don't need a plastic card. Just photocopy your current one and laminate it. How can you expect an RFD to write on a plastic card ;)

The meaning of "plastic card" has been assumed onto a Smart Card. That's what SD members want but would never pay for.

​Stan

Explain this smart card idea then . Never heard of it . I know I would shooting card like ur drivers licence

I carry my originals with me at all times when shooting (so does my shooting partner), that way if a narked off copper in a bad mood whats to see my licenses, he cannot sieze my firearms for failure to provide the originals for inspection.

Ian.

Unfortunately any photo copy of any certificate is completely useless in the eyes of the law or anyone else for that matter.

Just because on the day you photo copied it it was valid, and even thought the photo copy has an expiry date later than when

you produce it.

Any body looking at your photo copy has no idea if your origional had been revoked at some point previous.

This even goes as far as if you photo copied it yesterday , you could have had it revoked today, so i would only carry the original.

yeah but to my knowlage if the boys in blue were to ask you to produce your certss that would nt be good enough .!i have mine photo copied and in my truck at all times but i was told thats still not good enough

You have to be able to 'produce' your FAC - if it is safe at home I can 'produce' it - just not immediately.
Most people just carry a copy - just see how dirty and creased, wet muddy and bloody it gets after a year and you'll understand why.
I imagine most Police officers would be satisfied with that - after all they can now do an instant check on your ID or numberplate.

I imagine most Police officers would be satisfied with that - after all they can now do an instant check on your ID or numberplate.

in my experience with police they r only happy when they are takin them away from you . So that y I started this thread to see if any 1 else would like the idea of a plastic card to carry in ur wallet at all times

​As has been said. For a plastic card to work it would have to be a smart card thus requiring every police officer to carry a smart card reader in his pocket, every RFD to have a reader and software linked to firearms licensing and every FAC holder to have a reader so that he /she can check that the details held on the card are correct.

Well, as a pensioner, I certainly don't want to pay for that little lot just to save getting my, easily replaceable, paper one dirty !.

Y would it have to be a smart card . ? Is your drivers licence a smart card, no . Is ur basc membership card a smart card , no . Other SD members have posted about photocopies of there's and laminating but that's stil not legal so y not a card that simply states ur name address and ur cert no . Then they could check over the radio . Simples as the meerkat would say

Y would it have to be a smart card . ? Is your drivers licence a smart card, no . Is ur basc membership card a smart card , no . Other SD members have posted about photocopies of there's and laminating but that's stil not legal so y not a card that simply states ur name address and ur cert no . Then they could check over the radio . Simples as the meerkat would say

Because, it would need to have the details of your firearms and ammunition purchases on it together with details of any conditions imposed, and the ability to have ammunition purchases added at point of acquisition. Together with details of open slots with the ability for the seller to add a firearm purchase to it.

Because, it would need to have the details of your firearms and ammunition purchases on it together with details of any conditions imposed, and the ability to have ammunition purchases added at point of acquisition. Together with details of open slots with the ability for the seller to add a firearm purchase to it.
That's not wat am suggesting . Wel for a start any way just a card to prove u r legal to hold firearms . Obviously u can't have what guns or ammo u have for security reasons

That's not wat am suggesting . Wel for a start any way just a card to prove u r legal to hold firearms . Obviously u can't have what guns or ammo u have for security reasons

Yes, I know where you're coming from but unless it had the details of what guns you legally held how would the policeman demanding to see your FAC know that the gun you had in your possession was legal.

Yes, I know where you're coming from but unless it had the details of what guns you legally held how would the policeman demanding to see your FAC know that the gun you had in your possession was legal.
Well they could use there radio I guess . U don't have what car you drive on your licence . I would like the basc to join in on this thread to see what there opinion is .

Any rfd that accepts cards already has an internet connection so that's no issue. The police would not need to carry a special reader, they could radio in or it could be printed on the plastic card. Besides, most modern phones can be used to hold/retrive data from a 'smart' card.
It would save a lot of the cost involved and would probably result in a reduction in the cost of running the system if anything.

In hindsight any decision to change from the current paper arrangement shouldn’t and wouldn’t be influenced by how many FAC’s require replacing due to water damage but rather the demonstrable improvements to be realised (or not) by a move to swipe card. A key starting point in any such assessment would surely be to look at Home Office figures for firearms and ammunition sold against fraudulently produced Certificates. Interesting reading I would wager.

In summary the issue of licensing costs shouldn’t be a matter for FAC holders anymore than are the costs associated with Passport issue as they will and should be whatever is required to deliver a truly fit for purpose process. Indeed, one might even argue that for FAC holders to insist upon such an approach can only be a positive in our battle to demonstrate our concern for meaningful licensing.

K

In summary the issue of licensing costs shouldn’t be a matter for FAC holders anymore than are the costs associated with Passport issue as they will and should be whatever is required to deliver a truly fit for purpose process. Indeed, one might even argue that for FAC holders to insist upon such an approach can only be a positive in our battle to demonstrate our concern for meaningful licensing.

K

With licensing fee "full cost recovery" being the aim of the police I rather think it is a matter for FAC holders.

Please correct me if i am wrong, but where does it say you have to carry your SGC or FAC if you are out and about with either or both weapons? I believe it is better to leave them at home safe and sound.

We aren't in the US!!!! "you gotta permit for that side-arm boy"..... what information or insight can pc plod get by seeing a certificate (original or copy) on the spot that he or she cannot get in 20 seconds over the radio with your name and address? I would suggest the answer is nothing?

One would certainly be forgiven for believing this to be the case!

I think most assertions to the contrary have suggested an encounter with PC Plod in belligerent unreasonable mode.

Since issue of my FAC in 1982 the only time I've been asked to produce it, other than when purchasing kit, was when applying for stalking with FCS and BDS range days!

Even when stopped last year for "driving a Landrover" at 3 in the morning and offering to produce my FAC in lieu of driving licence the Officer declined having clearly satisfied himself by other means that I hadn't stolen the vehicle. Key point being he must have seen the rifle on the rear seat!

K

Back