Adapted from a Spiced Beef recipe. Absolutely delicious cold for picnics!
Spice Mix per 2kg Venison:
350g / 12oz Salt
250g / 9oz Demerara Sugar
50g / 2oz Cracked Black Pepper
50g / 2oz Ground Pepper
75g / 3oz Medium Ground Allspice
75g / 3oz Ground Juniper Berries
Mix the above ingredients. Rub it all over the venison (we use a boned haunch). Leave for 12-24 hours covered in the fridge (we put it in a vacuum sealed bag) then cook as below.
1. Place the venison in a roomy saucepan with enough water to cover.
2. Oven poach slowly in 140°C (275۫°F / Gas Mark 1) for several hours. Allowing 1 hour per 500g, cook until very tender.
3. Drain the joint – there should still be a nice spice crust on it.
4. If not serving hot, put on a baking tray, cover with a board and press it under weight overnight (we use 4 or 5 tins of tomatoes)
5. It will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
6. Serve it cut into thin slices, with leafy salad and jacket potatoes or in sandwiches with chutney.