Pecar Scope?

Hi there, I am looking to get a pecar scope and wanted your thoughts on it?​thanks Peter
If it's a genuine scope it will be strong, heavy, very clear and 'old fashioned' It may even have the facility for changing the reticule.
They were the best available at one time but nowadays lighter, and stronger materials have made todays scopes more popular.

Lighter - Yes ..... Stronger - No. Cheaper to make - Yes. (more profit for the manufacturer) ...... Better - ????. Fancier lens coatings - Possibly.

Pecar - Good - Yes. Low cost option - Yes. Repairable - Yes (in UK) ---- What's not to like?

Ian

Good scope if you can find one these days. Good optics and well made German engineering.

I've got one , it's excellent , the blueing is worn on the steel body but the optics are crystal clear and you can get interchangeable reticles that just " plug in " .

I honestly don't know what it's worth but I would need to buy a s+ b or a kahles to replace in terms of quality.:old:

Have had one for 30+ years, keep finding a home for it on a rifle here and there. Would never get rid of it, it owes me nothing, has never let me down and is a really good all round piece if kit. Looks a bit 'retro' now but then again maybe that's not a bad thing!

Have had one for 30+ years, keep finding a home for it on a rifle here and there. Would never get rid of it, it owes me nothing, has never let me down and is a really good all round piece if kit. Looks a bit 'retro' now but then again maybe that's not a bad thing!

me to and my first ever scope bought when a was 18 - 46 now . Al get buried with it

me to and my first ever scope bought when a was 18 - 46 now . Al get buried with it

Pecar were and still are excellent scopes however one needs to keep in mind that the Classic Pecars have moving reticle and not the more common now "Moving Image". This feature was only found in the Pecar Champion range from Pecar. The turret saddle will be marked with a cricle with a dot in the centre to denote the image moving reticle like this:-

Often the ocular housing has the Champion marking but not always.

I have several Pecars (all 6x Champions) and comparing them against Zeiss and Swarovski I've been surprised at just how good they are. They give away very little in clarity, brightness and colour versus the others and are vastly better than the budget far-eastern scopes. Another advantage, for me at least, is that they are quite long so I can seat them well back in the rings to get the eye relief right. Some stocks are too long for me and it's cheaper to get the scope repositioned than to get the stock shortened to fit. I have heard that they are more likely to suffer from cloudy optics with age, but I haven't seen this yet myself.

They are excellent the kasnar beta 3 range were made by Pecar. One slight issue is the lens coatings are soft so take great care when you clean them. Better stlll dont get them dirty.

D

Back