TB in park/farmed red deer

wellyboot

I am looking at a piece of ground to set up a new red deer herd, that has had deer on it previously which at some point relatively recently was found to have tb. The ground has been empty since march.

What i want to know and can't find out, despite trawling AHVLA, defra etc websites is how does it affect the movement of live deer for sale if i was to establish a new herd. Would the new herd be automatically subject to testing because of the prior case?

It seems that a license to move anything anywhere is needed from AHVLA or can only be moved from one tb restricted area to a similar or greater risk area. I was under the impression that things could only leave dead and if the level of infection/lesions etc was minimal could enter the food chain.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

Have you tried ringing your local AHVLA office? If you say which county you are in then I can tell you who they are.

The legislation doesn't really 'fit' deer. There are areas of known infected deer in TB free areas that moved freely from known TB areas.

DEFRA have the power to make you have a TB test and they make you pay for it too. They seem to decide on the requirement on individual basis - but if they decide it must happen then you have no choice.

Depending where you are, and how heavily infected the wildlife is in the area is a deer farm really a good idea?

(there have been reports of TB bacteria remaining viable for over 300 days).

Go into your scheme with caution. We had a TB outbreak on one of the deer farms where I was responsible for health and after considerable financial loss the farmer decided to try wild boar, against my advice, after a fallow 18 month period and they to went down with TB. Red deer and wild boar have a characteristic in common. No prizes for the answer Here is a contact detail for useful information. The British Deer Farms and Parks Association Deer Farming Venison Recipes
If you would like more info feel free to pm me

Apache,
Please show me the legislation that says that Defra have the power to make a deer farmer test their deer.

Once a deer farm (or park I suppose) has had a confirmed case of TB then a Movement restriction order would be imposed and then the owner would have to test IF he wanted the restriction order lifted. This is not the same as Defra having the power to force an owner to test.

As to the original poster being advised to contact his local AHVLA I wish him luck. Even if there were any discoverable rules applicable to TB in deer it is usual that each area Animal Health office will have their own agenda and will ask for what they want in the hope that the owner knows no better.
Sorry to sound cynical but experience makes me that way.

Apache,
Please show me the legislation that says that Defra have the power to make a deer farmer test their deer.

Sorry - I missed your post.

It is contained in The Tuberculosis (Deer) Order 1989

7. An appropriate officer may, by notice in writing served on the owner or person in charge of any deer, require him–
(a)to arrange for any deer which may be specified in the notice to be tested for tuberculosis at his own expense and in such manner and within such period as may be so specified; and
(b)to report the result of any such test to the Divisional Veterinary Officer as soon as practicable.

The Tuberculosis (Deer) Order 1989

If you speak to the right person at AHVLA they will help. It's just getting harder to find the right person to speak to!

Back