.300 Win Mag

finnbear270

Right, I am seeking the views of those who have actually owned & shot this cal, I already have the guidance of seeing this in action on Reds,........ I would like any other expansions of views on this cal from the membership please,:thumb::popcorn:

My first rifle was a 300 Win Mag. A custom rifle on a Sako action, Swarovski 1.5-6x42 in a German Claw hook mount. Still regret selling it, but it was VERY heavy and I like light rifles. Shot about 10 head with it and everything dropped as hit by lightning. In my opinion a tremendous killer, but needs weight ( or a moderator or muzzlebrake) to have an acceptable recoil. Even in a 4.5 kg rifle recoil is very noticeable. I sometimes use a friends 7mm RM and this seems to kill almost the same with slightly less recoil.
If I could try a T3 lite in 300 Win mag with a good light moderator and recoil would be acceptable, I would get one tomorow. I just don't want a rifle that weights more than 4kg ready to go.

I've used 300 win mags off and on for about 30 years now. I used it primarily as a large game ( moose, elk, large bear) rifle. It does have excellent long range capabilities, even with heavier 200 gr Nosler bullets, which is what I used for moose etc. I also used it for white-tails and mule deer with well constructed 180 gr bullets, I found I got less meat loss that way. When loaded with the !80's it has a lot of "reach". The 300 win mag is a very popular all around cartridge out here, for a good reason, it is capable of taking any medium to large game we have.The downside is substantial recoil, to be honest too much for some. It's nothing that can't be overcome with proper shooting technique and regular practise though. If you're looking for a powerful, flat shooting caliber it is an excellent choice. That being said I now use a 30-06 for the same range of game, but the 300 win mag does have a lot more reach and horse power than the 06 does. I was always satisfied with my 300's performance, especially when the ranges got longer and the game got bigger. Hope this helps.

AB

I can only comment of range use as I never got to stalk with mine when I had it. Mine was a Ruger No1B in 300 win mag. It was this cartridge that first used the 165 grain Speer through. of course that was before the stupidity of the expanding section Five ammunition.

The recoil is not as bad as a lot make out if the rifle fits one properly. I only sold mine as I was buying Three antique Boer Mausers and needed to trade it to make up the amount.

I own a sako L61R love it the action is super sweet and it is very accurate ,the recoil is more than my 270 but it is no bother if you think about what you are doing but no different to any other larger cal ,it wont be leaving my ownership till i get sent on my way in a wooden box.atb wayne
ps forgot to say mine is unmodded or breaked, i have shot reds roe and fox none complained as they didn't move afterwards:thumb:

Last edited:
Hi
I have a 20+yr Steyer-Mannlicher, used abroad and here, Roe/Fallow. Makes the point when you ask it to...
Vit N160/180grn Nosler Partition works for me.
Although (perceived) recoil may not be for everyone try it with an open mind......

L

My 300WM is no heavier than any of my other rifles, and fitted with a reflex T8 moderator the recoil is noticeable but very similar to my 308. I don't notice the difference. It has a sported barrel and shoots 1/2 MOA, much cheaper to reload than buy factory ammo. Shot Roe and red with it using heavy bullets, limiting the meat damage to the smaller deer.

​Good luck if you do get one.

I bought my First one five years ago. It is a Blaser sporter barrel and came with a detachable muzzle brake. The brake is very effective and the recoil is considerably Dampened. It is a different animal when the brake is removed but perfectly manageable. With a moderator, it akin to shooting an air rifle.

2 years ago I added Semi Weight barrel to the collection. It is relatively easy to shoot and I will try it with a mod for the first time next October. I use Blaser 165 gr CDP ammunition and they will clover leaf on the range but the sporter barrel needs 10 mins to cool down after 2 shots.

In terms of stopping power, it is very effective and reasonably flat shooting dropping 3 inches at 200m and 12 inches at 300m. Used it in Austria last week and was very pleased with it.

I have seen Tam's 300.
nice bit of kit!

I haven't picked mine up yet (found a Tikka) but I did all the same homework you are doing
I have a 270 but wanted to use heavier bullets at similar velocities and trajectory. Seems to be just the ticket

Sako TRG-S 300WM. 180 N Vulkans.

redgryph22.jpg

Same rifle pre paint 180 Nosler patrition

debsdebut-2.jpg

They work well and play hard,they kill a lot of game too but as Hales Smut said " I sometimes use a friends 7mm RM and this seems to kill almost the same with slightly less recoil."

I thoroughly agree with that too.

T3 lites in 300WM I believe are too much gun for the new chums that are starting out. Used Guns in Australia has so many T3`s for resale but mainly 300`s and 9.3`s often with the "only fired 20 shots or so" that says something eh!

I use a Blaser as well but with the heavy fluted barrel. Seems ok on fallow, I tend to use it when shooting nearer boundaries. Use 180 gn ballistic tips or barnes.

Johngryphon, I fully agree. A T3 lite in 300 WM is just to much, enough to make Mike Tyson flinch after a few shots. In Belgium, where I live, moderators are not allowed. Maybe in the UK with a good moderator they might be shootable. I would at least want to try it before I would buy.
I also agree with others, that a heavy bullet out of a 300 isn't wasting a lot of meat.

Some in depth reports here, I would consider the recoil issue maybe a step downwards from a 45/70 throwing full house though.:tiphat:, Will be getting the variation request in soon I think.

Recoil is heavy with all strong calibres. The energy that goes to the front comes back. There's a formula about that, but can't find it. Most magnum rifles are just heavier to start. The old Steyr was about 3.8kg. Rifle + scope + mounts+ bipod and you get close to or over 5 kg. This weight certainly controls recoil. My experience with moderators is very little. Maybe a good moderator will make a light 300 WM O.K. for recoil and muzzle jump. There's no use, using a 600/700 gram moderator on a light rifle, you can as well use a heavier rifle from the start. My idea of a "hill" rifle is 2.8 kg + scope 0.5 kg + moderator 0.2 kg / bipod . This combination is more suited to lighter calibres.

Some in depth reports here, I would consider the recoil issue maybe a step downwards from a 45/70 throwing full house though.:tiphat:, Will be getting the variation request in soon I think.

You're right about that finnbear. I have a Ruger No 3 in 45/70, with heavier loads it is downright abusive. If you can shoot full-house 45/70 loads, the 300 wm won't bother you at all. As long as its not to light a rifle that is. As others have mentioned, I've been offered T-3's in 300 and 338 wm for very good prices. For some reason they all come with a few boxes of new ammo with about 9 or 10 empties lol

AB

.300 Win Mag

A rifle that shoots a .30 caliber bullet at .270 speeds. You don't get that for free. Kicks like a mule.

.300 Win Mag

A rifle that shoots a .30 caliber bullet at .270 speeds. You don't get that for free. Kicks like a mule.

:D That made me smile! I am weighing up the possibilities of this and a few other calibers for boar and moose, so have been reading this thread with interest.

Thanks!

​Ian

The only real difference I notice with my .300 winmag and my former .243 Remington is that when a shot was taken with the .243 you could mostly see the reaction of the beast to the shot.
When a similar shot is taken with the .300 the reaction is sometimes difficult to see due to the movement of the rifle. I wouldn't go back to the .243 as the .300 has a much better knock down performance with 3000ft/lbs of energy with a handloaded Barnes 180 TSX. The meat damage is definately less than the .243.
With a mod on and the mild load, it's recoil is not a big deal. Other's have shot it and have approached it with trepidation having heard of the recoil. All have walked away saying it wasn't as bad as they expected.

I've got a 300wm barrel for my R93. Its got a Wildcat mod on it.
It doesnt kick so much as rotate in your hand when you shoot.
I've zeroed it and since then not done any target work with it, but I can honestly say that I've never noticed recoil when using it in the field.
Everything that I've shot with it has dropped on the spot.

Back