Knife for a stalkers 60th birthday I've started making

digger9523

Evenin' all!

I trust we've all been having a lovely rut? :norty:

Was out with a dear friend of mine just a week or three ago and he says to me, "Ere, would you make a knife for me?" "Course i will mate" says i, "What're you after........?"

Anyway, long story short, he wants a knife for a mate of his 60th birthday, they've stalked together for 40 years and are as tight as you'd expect. For boys of their vintage, i knew straight away what i had to do. Something of a Loveless style hunter.

So i drew this for him:

IMG_1261_zpsd84484e2.jpg

I was pleased when he said that was exactly the sort of thing he had in mind. :cool: After the style we looked at handle materials:

IMG_1374_zps7898fa55.jpg

He had a choice of the top 3 sets of scales, 2 of which are desert ironwood, and the middle is Ebony. He's selected the left piece. Doesn't look much in that pic, but it has a lovely rippling dense grain and it'll really come out when finished and polished.

So, after a goodly amount of work i got me a blank filed out:

IMG_1389_zps17cb2161.jpg

IMG_1390_zps7ef8fb17.jpg

The notch on the underside is a recess for the bolster to sit in, and now after 4 and a half hours piloting a mates milling machine i have the bolster block slotted and sat nice and snug over the blade:

IMG_1486_zps04ffe7a4.jpg

IMG_1487_zpsb22e9dd7.jpg

IMG_1488_zps70d656ce.jpg

IMG_1489_zps7179a90e.jpg

The block looks wonky in the pics because it is, but the block still needs a lot of material to be removed, and while I'm doing that it all comes true again.

Next thing is to drill out loads of holes in the tang to reduce weight, then go wild with my files and defile it with my usual tang file work. Once that's done, the blade can be heat treated.

Steel is 12c27 Sandvik stainless.

Thanks for looking and as this one progresses i shall post more pics and talk more sh@t. :lol: :british:

Last edited:
nice write up, what width is the steel, angle of grind, brass bolster,may look good with the colour of the scales,keep the shxt coming.

nice write up, what width is the steel, angle of grind, brass bolster,may look good with the colour of the scales,keep the shxt coming.

Aha, a man who likes details!

The steel is 3.8mm thick on the vernier. Has a high full flat grind at whatever angle it was when I felt I'd removed enough at the pre heat treat stage. :D

I measure very little, prefer to just remove the material I don't want till it looks something like a knife! Probably why I'll never make a name for myself and Won't be a mill'yonaire this time next year.... :lol:

Digger, are you going to taper the tang, nice work by the way, cant beat a Loveless style, and a proper bolster, not just the handle materiel used as such. LOT of work there, as its a proper knife, with belt and braces as Loveless designed all those years ago. Haven't used the James Sponaugle knife yet, but your mate will be pleased with the one your doing, like the file work too. deerwarden:thumb:

Digger, are you going to taper the tang, nice work by the way, cant beat a Loveless style, and a proper bolster, not just the handle materiel used as such. LOT of work there, as its a proper knife, with belt and braces as Loveless designed all those years ago. Haven't used the James Sponaugle knife yet, but your mate will be pleased with the one your doing, like the file work too. deerwarden:thumb:

Thanks mate, my first 'Technical' project this one!

Gonna drill out all the weight reduction holes in the tang and then weigh up how I should achieve the taper. In my mind I picture myself marking a line on the tang at the back of the bolster block and tapering up to that line, we'll see on that.

Watch this space! :british:

digger always wondered how you know how much to drill out to keep the balance of the knife right I like a handle heavy knife, no matter the length of the blade, as in balance point about 1/2 inch into handle.

digger always wondered how you know how much to drill out to keep the balance of the knife right I like a handle heavy knife, no matter the length of the blade, as in balance point about 1/2 inch into handle.

I've seen folk looking for balance points by balancing the blade on an extended finger. Never been sure why people bother with it on relatively small blades such as this. On swords or throwing knives maybe balance means something, but this is just going to be a scabby old stalkers knife. I think that handle shape affects the cut more, but that's just my humble opinion.

This one will most certainly be heavier in the handle. :british:

Last edited:
thats a nice job feller i would leave the tang heavy if the chap is a big feller, also i would use chem/ rivets but however you finnish it, its a nice gift to get from an old pal :old: well done

Started to trim up the bolster block a bit today, good to get as much of it done before heat treat of the main blade:

IMG_1494_zpsffc41e6e.jpg

IMG_1495_zpse3fcc59e.jpg

IMG_1496_zps3be6dae2.jpg

Then i'll finish the file work. :british:

Very interesting thread to see the full progression of elements involved, especially to someone like me who lacks any metalwork skills.
It's some good **** man, keep it coming. I reckon there will be a very happy recipient at the end.

Last edited:
Found myself stood at the crossroads this evening......

IMG_1508_zpsf760e15b.jpg

IMG_1509_zpsc585693f.jpg

IMG_1510_zps68805246.jpg

This is the rough draft, I'll be procrastinating over it for a little while yet. :rolleyes: :british:

Evenin' all,

Got all the filing done on this one:

image_zpsd55877fb.jpg

image_zpsb5d5b192.jpg

And now it's all heat treated:

image_zps913d5b46.jpg

image_zps7013efa5.jpg

and Cryogenically quenched at minus 200 degrees C:

image_zpsa827ccab.jpg

image_zpsad7e762f.jpg

Will get around to sticking the handle on over the next week or two hopefully. :cool: :british:

Looks superb, i am 60 in 6 years time, you can be my new friend!
Lost my trusty Buck knife recently, had it for over 20 years, left it on my bumper and drove off:doh:
Cheers
Richard

Looks good mate knifemaking is one of the crafts that fascinates me with all the seperate processes required and skills in metal and woodwork!! :thumb:

then weigh up how I should achieve the taper. In my mind I picture myself marking a line on the tang at the back of the bolster block and tapering up to that line, we'll see on that.

Watch this space! :british:

Thtas how i taper ( Sssshhhh dont tell Stu M ;) )

but looks like you didnt in the end looks good tho :D

ATB

Duncan

Just wondering - do you ever extend the spine filework into the liner and grip material?

I realise it might be a no-no in some materials.

Just wondering - do you ever extend the spine filework into the liner and grip material?

I realise it might be a no-no in some materials.

I did on the last one as a small experiment. Was thinking of doing it on this one as well, but not decided yet. :tiphat:

Back